Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
I just sold my phone and forgot to Turn Off Find My iPhone - Gazelle said I needed reset everything and I can't believe I forgot.

Is there anyway I can do this remotely?

Thanks

adamhenry

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2015
On the Beach
Wow! If I sent my phone to stranger with all of my personal info still in it, Find my phone would be the last of my woories.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
I go into settings and "Erase all content and settings" before I sell. That takes care of Find My iPhone.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Sorry - to clary...I reset all settings before I gave it away.

But I needed to Turn Off Find My iPhone.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
You should "Erase all content and settings" instead of "reset all settings".

When you erase all content and settings, the iPhone will ask you for your iCloud password to disable the activation lock.

Last edited:
Reactions: Applejuiced

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Had this same issue. I swear I disabled 'find my iPhone' and got an e-mail from Gazelle that it has activation lock. Said they use https://www.icloud.com/activationlock/ to find out.

Not sure what's going on but clearly it does not show up on www.cloud.com in regarding to this device. I e-mailed them to send the phone back to me as I will try somewhere else.

joy_ng

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2015
Had this same issue. I swear I disabled 'find my iPhone' and got an e-mail from Gazelle that it has activation lock. Said they use https://www.icloud.com/activationlock/ to find out.

Not sure what's going on but clearly it does not show up on www.cloud.com in regarding to this device. I e-mailed them to send the phone back to me as I will try somewhere else.

this is similar to what happened to me. When I got it back it was locked to someone else's iCloud account and I had to call apple to unlock it.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Update: E-mailed Gazelle Customer support and I told them that how it is possible that activation lock is in place when I clearly disabled find my iPhone and then erase all content and setting before sending it off. So I rejected the offer, got my phone back, only to realize that the activation lock e-mail wasn't mine.

I ended up e-mailing Gazelle Customer support that there is a mistake and that I don't recognize the e-mail. Even though the phone was mine, serial number and the imei # matched the box. Anyways, customer support was helpful and told me to send the phone back to them and that they would honor the original value that I locked into.

Got an e-mail notifying me that they have sent the check full amount.

Eileen89

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2014
Update: E-mailed Gazelle Customer support and I told them that how it is possible that activation lock is in place when I clearly disabled find my iPhone and then erase all content and setting before sending it off. So I rejected the offer, got my phone back, only to realize that the activation lock e-mail wasn't mine.

I ended up e-mailing Gazelle Customer support that there is a mistake and that I don't recognize the e-mail. Even though the phone was mine, serial number and the imei # matched the box. Anyways, customer support was helpful and told me to send the phone back to them and that they would honor the original value that I locked into.

Got an e-mail notifying me that they have sent the check full amount.
That's awesome that they did this. Their customer service is one of the reasons why I keep selling my phones to Gazelle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.