Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

washer

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2004
I have a setup including a cable modem, linksys, and iMac G5 downstairs, another linksys 802.11g router upstairs with my older iMac, and another iMac upstairs connected to the network with an airport card. I want to try and login to the main router downstairs to change some settings, but I forgot the login and password and can't find the scrap of paper the tech guy and I wrote it on. I have been trying this on and off for the past few months with no avail. Is there any way I can get in there? He used some software other than the linksys stuff, called Ambit. I know how to get around once I'm in there, but I can't get in so far... any help?

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Have you tried the linksys defaults?

Login: (blank)
Password: admin​

If that doesn't work you may want to try calling the tech company who set it up - they may always use the same login name & password.

You could always reset the router by pressing the reset button (on the back of the unit), but this will erase your entire configuration, so it should only be used as a last resort.

washer

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2004
yea, unfortunatly it wasnt (blank)/admin
I may have to call the guy... I don't think he's gonna remember, it was a while ago.

So if i hit the rest button will it be the software he used (Ambit) or the factory default?

Savings

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2006
Try a soft reset of the linksys router. Should restore it to the factory defaults in the event that you changed the password. The software will probably restore to Ambit if you soft reset, since I don't believe that the ROM size on the Linksys routers is big enough to carry two firmwares.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.