Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Melrose

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 12, 2007
I searched, and my effort was fruitless.

I have an iPod that was a gift from my Dad - back when I was using XP. The problem is now I would like to update the software on the iPod but have a Macintosh.

Is there any way available to reformat the iPod so it will work natively on my Mac, allowing the software to be updated as need be?

Many thanks!

MM07

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
Where is your iTunes library? Do you need anything on the iPod?

I did this with my wife's iPod. It was formatted Windows.

We backed up her library from the PC. I then added that to her iMac. I reformatted the iPod on the Mac.

Synced and we were good to go.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I have an iPod that was a gift from my Dad - back when I was using XP. The problem is now I would like to update the software on the iPod but have a Macintosh.

So what hapens when you plug in the iPod? Does it show up on the source list under devices in iTumes on your Mac? You ask how but don't tell us what is the problem you are having. At what point are you stuck?

Melrose

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 12, 2007
When I go to the iPod preferences thing in iTunes, it says I cannot update the iPod software because the iPod is formatted for Windows.

I'd like reformat for Mac so I can get updates, if possible.

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2008
Ok so here's the situation. I have all my music on my mbp itunes right now.. I already synced those songs to my ipod, however it's still formatted under windows. All i have to do is click "restore" and then resync right? :eek:

MM07

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
Ok so here's the situation. I have all my music on my mbp itunes right now.. I already synced those songs to my ipod, however it's still formatted under windows. All i have to do is click "restore" and then resync right? :eek:

Yes that will work because all of your songs are in your iTunes.

Melrose

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 12, 2007
I just did that, following your direction.

I lost all my playlists from my iPod (probably including a few songs, but if I can't name them I won't miss them, right?). Senuti kept crashing, so I just went ahead and clicked Restore.

Working like a charm. I'll be here for another half-hour while it reloads my music and vids, but it seems to be working fine.

Many thanks. I thought Restore would simply put it back to factory settings, not wipe the software. Figures Apple would be so easy!

Many thanks! :) This's been bugging me for some time..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.