Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
Currently I'm simply saving clips as a .mov file and uploading to Amazon s3 for playing on my Wordpress site. Generally these are low res clips usually less than a couple of mins, to maybe about 10 mins. They seem to work ok, but I'd like to use best practice and so I'm looking for the best way to prepare clips so that they load and stream as effectively as possible.

At the moment I'm using quicktime 7 pro, to get them to a small size I choose the 'share' option which opens up an email and put a small file in which I then drag to the desktop to upload to Amazon. But I'm sure there's a better way to do this, I have noticed that generally if I upload to youtube I get messages telling me that my file is nicht so gut, as it were.

What should I actually be doing. Should I use iMovie, or Final Cut or some other software, and what would the best settings be?

thanks

Michael Anthony

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2012
Australia
Use Handbrake or Quicktime 7 Pro. One thing I learned yesterday is that the current release of Handbrake doesn't support all formats of audio in some .mkv files, at least some I ran across, but last nights' nightly build worked fine. I use quicktime from sometimes too, the most important thing for compatibility is the format the video as H.264 and use the .mp4 file extension.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.