Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC

mariusignorello

Suspended
Jun 9, 2013
Whats the bitrate?????

Dying to know.

----------

Hell no. You will still have your normal music app for iTunes radio and your music. The new beats music app would be in addition to that.

If its paid only it better not show up on my device's next September... I got my eye on you :apple:. I hope your hearing me.

They'll make sure its permanently burned into your Home Screen for you. :D

selfsilent

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2014
If you need to know what teenagers want (Beats Music's demographic), best to ask a 50 and a 62 year old. A music software version of "Dads jokes" and "Dad dancing".

nando87

Cancelled
Jun 25, 2014
If you need to know what teenagers want (Beats Music's demographic), best to ask a 50 and a 62 year old. A music software version of "Dads jokes" and "Dad dancing".

You're right, much better to hire some teenager than a successful executive

elmateo487

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
Then how do you add music, Photos and videos to your iPhone, iPad and iPod?? That right with iTunes...

lol no. Everything is synced man. Haven't used iTunes for my iPhone in.... years now?

----------

who the crap said anything about teenagers? I don't what that shiz

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Hell no. You will still have your normal music app for iTunes radio and your music. The new beats music app would be in addition to that.

If its paid only it better not show up on my device's next September... I got my eye on you :apple:. I hope your hearing me.

Better brace yourself. This will be baked into an overhauled Music.app that will come pre-installed (as it always has been) in iOS 8.4 and will include all forms of music from Apple (owned, radio, streaming service).

The Beats app and namesake as we know it today will no longer stand as a separate product.

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
I hope iTunes gets dynamited and re-constructed from the ground up. It is like if someone had no plans for building a house and instead just kept adding on, with the predictable result....an illogical and confusing mess.

Last edited:

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
I've lost faith in the whole process.

I was certainly on board with buying digital versions of my digital music lo this past decade, but now i realize how locked in I am to the ecosystem. I don't "own" this stuff! I seem to rent space from Apple to keep it, and if I decide to leave, then, it's back to 2006 for me, i suppose.

Now it's streaming, so the music you like will never be your own, for the current generation. How do you get attached to stuff? Who, of this generation will be able to say "I used to listen to Led Zep III back in college!" when really the music they hear will now be transitory.

I understand Streaming is nice and convenient and all, but it's the fast food of music.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
Nothing about the acquisition or remaking of Beats is of interest.

It still seems like Apple bought it to look cool or whatever word the hip hop / rap subculture might use to signify its popularity.

Featured "songs" include tracks laced with obscenities so disgusting if written here they'd be banned, deleted and obliterated as they very well should.

Source: lyrics for one of today's most popular songs on iTunes

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/nickiminaj/trufflebutter.html

Or to get 3B in revenues, growing at a fast pace and a brand that hits a demographics that's hard for them to reach... Or whatever... The whole buy will haven repaid in 3-4 years. Very good return in investment even if they don't ever use any streaming anything.

You know, mo money, less problem... The followup to the original biggie small hit...

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
I'll be interested to see what they announce at WWDC but so far I don't see anything new or original here. Sounds like the new AppleTV is going to be a US only service going forward as they've made no real effort to make it a viable product in the UK, which is really disappointing.

I've long since given up on AppleTV. I've just bought the Amazon Fire Stick to go with my Prime membership. For £19 it was an easy decision.

Last edited:

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Then how do you add music, Photos and videos to your iPhone, iPad and iPod?? That right with iTunes...

I don't use iTunes for any media syncing at all and I'm 100% in the Apple ecosystem.

For music, I use iTunes Match. For photos and videos that I've taken, I use iCloud Photos. For movies, all my movies are from iTunes so they are in iCloud to download and stream.

The only one time I use iTunes is a monthly local backup of my iOS devices, which works as my second backup along with iCloud backup.

But yea, you can certainly work and manage your media without the help of iTunes these days. I've cut the cord and I couldn't be happier.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England

I was certainly on board with buying digital versions of my digital music lo this past decade, but now i realize how locked in I am to the ecosystem. I don't "own" this stuff! I seem to rent space from Apple to keep it, and if I decide to leave, then, it's back to 2006 for me, i suppose.

Now it's streaming, so the music you like will never be your own, for the current generation. How do you get attached to stuff? Who, of this generation will be able to say "I used to listen to Led Zep III back in college!" when really the music they hear will now be transitory.

I understand Streaming is nice and convenient and all, but it's the fast food of music.

I've also lost faith in the whole iTunes/Streaming post CD world. I like the convenience but I'm tired of the poor quality. I just hope HD music downloads take off then I'd happily switch to the Pono or something like it as I'd prefer to own my music.

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan

Is there anything preventing you from downloading the tracks you've bought on iTunes and burn them to CDs, back them up on your hard drive and to a third party online storage?

Blackforge

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2008
Is there anything preventing you from downloading the tracks you've bought on iTunes and burn them to CDs, back them up on your hard drive and to a third party online storage?

Actually you can use current iTunes music on pretty much ANY device, as there is no copy protection whatsoever. They are just MP4 audio files these days. So technically you can do anything you want with them.

Trius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008

I have all of my Spotify playlists saved locally on my phone. Yes, there's a monthly fee, but while I have it, there's zero difference to actually owning it. The biggest difference is instant music discovery and entire albums playable at will.

Mactendo

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2012
Nine Inch Nails frontman Trent Reznor, who was the Chief Creative Officer at Beats before it was acquired by Apple, is "playing a major role" in the redesign of the music streaming app. Jimmy Iovine, Beats co-founder, is also said to be playing an important role furthering Apple's music ambitions.

And what Dr. Dre is doing?..

technosix

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2015
West Coast USA
I don't use iTunes for any media syncing at all and I'm 100% in the Apple ecosystem. <snip>

But yea, you can certainly work and manage your media without the help of iTunes these days. I've cut the cord and I couldn't be happier.

I've always been somewhat adverse about iTunes. Being a very early advocate of wireless computing. I didn't like Apple's insistence that we tether our devices to the laptop via a USB cable, but put up with it only because it was a necessity.

Fortunately Android made no such antiquated demands from day one, so in that instance they've been ahead of Apple wirelessly for years.

Traveling frequently for business, constantly keeping a MacLaptop at hand, back then I kept all my music resident on what's currently known as an iPod Classic. Beginning with the original and buying a new one each time Apple increased its capability. Once it became apparent Apple was killing them off, I bought two new ones as spares.

I've gone some time now having cut the iTunes cord and I could not be happier.

betabeta

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2013
I don't know, I really like the idea of Trent in there making decisions, he just doesn't give a f* and would not hesitate to say anything to higher ups.

I feel fine with this;)

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
And what Dr. Dre is doing?..
Rolling in/smoking his piles of Apple money, no doubt.

Can't say I'm the least bit interested in a "curated" streaming music service. If it cost nothing I'd give it a whirl, but PAY for other people to decide what music I'm supposed to listen to, Apple's gotta be out of their minds!

Spotify has nothing to fear from this POS, by the looks of it. I'm certainly not going to switch to something that doesn't offer similar freedom and functionality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.