Fortran 77

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kneeslasher, Aug 1, 2004.

1. kneeslasher macrumors member

Greetings,

In the lab, I use LaTeX, IDL and Fortran 77 on Linux machines. On my pBook, I can seem to use LaTex (TeXshop) and IDL (6.0 for OS X). But after installing g77 on the Mac, I can't seem to figure out how to use it.

Forgive me, I have been, previously, someone who just used Fortran rather than understood its intricacies. When I was using Linux machines, I therefore only wrote the code in Emacs as an xxxx.for file, compiled using "ifc xxx.for" to produce an a.out file which I simply ran via typing "a.out".

Now what is the equivalent of those two steps above using g77? Any help?

2. scottwat macrumors regular

OK I don't use fortran but I do know enough about commandline compiling to help. The first thing to do is in the terminal once g77 is installed run "g77 --help" I couldn't get a manpage to come up by typing "man g77" normally this would be a better option but the help page is good gives you everything you need.
    From the help I can see the basic usage is "g77 [options] file" the options are optional but are listed under the the help page there. Maybe a good one for you is "g77 -o nameofoutput nameofinput" this will compile the nameofinput file into the nameofoutput program. then you can run it with ./nameofoutput.

3. kneeslasher thread starter macrumors member

What about interoperability? I have been told that using g77 is equivalent to what I used at the lab... there a.out files from the lab should work on the Mac. But how do I run an a.out file? ./ doesn't work... And I definitely can<not> for some reason, compile .for files from the lab using g77: error free files give errors when using g77... ...

4. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

FORTRAN compiled on another CPU type won't work on another CPU unless the lab has Macs with a PowerPC chip. The ones in the lab are probably Intel based so it won't run without taking the FORTRAN source over and recompiling.

Also it's a good practice to rename your a.out to what you want the executable to be called or specify a name when you compile.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Type "a.out" at the command prompt if you are in a.out's directory. Include the complete path if you are not.

6. kneeslasher thread starter macrumors member

Ah yes. I had forgotten about the fact that compiled a.out's were specific... well in that case I will, obviously, limit myself to working with the source .for program text file. Typing a.out does not work. I don't think the a.out is recognised as an executable at all.

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Shouldn't the extension be either .f or .f77? I thought that .for was meant to signify FORTRAN IV files.