Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kneeslasher

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2004
Greetings,

In the lab, I use LaTeX, IDL and Fortran 77 on Linux machines. On my pBook, I can seem to use LaTex (TeXshop) and IDL (6.0 for OS X). But after installing g77 on the Mac, I can't seem to figure out how to use it.

Forgive me, I have been, previously, someone who just used Fortran rather than understood its intricacies. When I was using Linux machines, I therefore only wrote the code in Emacs as an xxxx.for file, compiled using "ifc xxx.for" to produce an a.out file which I simply ran via typing "a.out".

Now what is the equivalent of those two steps above using g77? Any help?

scottwat

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2003
Ohio USA
kneeslasher said:
Greetings,

In the lab, I use LaTeX, IDL and Fortran 77 on Linux machines. On my pBook, I can seem to use LaTex (TeXshop) and IDL (6.0 for OS X). But after installing g77 on the Mac, I can't seem to figure out how to use it.

Forgive me, I have been, previously, someone who just used Fortran rather than understood its intricacies. When I was using Linux machines, I therefore only wrote the code in Emacs as an xxxx.for file, compiled using "ifc xxx.for" to produce an a.out file which I simply ran via typing "a.out".

Now what is the equivalent of those two steps above using g77? Any help?

OK I don't use fortran but I do know enough about commandline compiling to help. The first thing to do is in the terminal once g77 is installed run "g77 --help" I couldn't get a manpage to come up by typing "man g77" normally this would be a better option but the help page is good gives you everything you need.
From the help I can see the basic usage is "g77 [options] file" the options are optional but are listed under the the help page there. Maybe a good one for you is "g77 -o nameofoutput nameofinput" this will compile the nameofinput file into the nameofoutput program. then you can run it with ./nameofoutput.

kneeslasher

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2004
What about interoperability? I have been told that using g77 is equivalent to what I used at the lab... there a.out files from the lab should work on the Mac. But how do I run an a.out file? ./ doesn't work... And I definitely can<not> for some reason, compile .for files from the lab using g77: error free files give errors when using g77... ...

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
kneeslasher said:
What about interoperability? I have been told that using g77 is equivalent to what I used at the lab... there a.out files from the lab should work on the Mac. But how do I run an a.out file? ./ doesn't work... And I definitely can<not> for some reason, compile .for files from the lab using g77: error free files give errors when using g77... ...

FORTRAN compiled on another CPU type won't work on another CPU unless the lab has Macs with a PowerPC chip. The ones in the lab are probably Intel based so it won't run without taking the FORTRAN source over and recompiling.

Also it's a good practice to rename your a.out to what you want the executable to be called or specify a name when you compile.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
kneeslasher said:
Type "a.out" at the command prompt if you are in a.out's directory. Include the complete path if you are not.

kneeslasher

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2004
Ah yes. I had forgotten about the fact that compiled a.out's were specific... well in that case I will, obviously, limit myself to working with the source .for program text file. Typing a.out does not work. I don't think the a.out is recognised as an executable at all.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
kneeslasher said:

Shouldn't the extension be either .f or .f77? I thought that .for was meant to signify FORTRAN IV files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.