Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
I've been continually disappointed with their computer line in seeking a replacement for my MacBook. It's to the point where my Late 2007 MacBook is too good at what it does. (I'm already rolling my eyes to that spin fest.) I don't see any incentive from Apple to buy new or more hardware from them short of some sort of critical failure. The applications, concepts, and operating system are endearing but as many have said new hardware doesn't stop my "old" Mac from working.

What do I have to look forward to?
I am the satisfied owner of a MacBook Late 2006 model.

Ideally, I will replace this notebook with a quad-core Mac mini. However, I am very happy with my current computer, so I am in no rush to replace it.

Perhaps it's the "half glass empty, half glass full" scenario. I see my glass as half full. Your comments seem to indicate that you see your glass as half empty. I'm not sure if Apple could do anything to make you happy. Ultimately, you will have to decide those expectations yourself and live with them.

niuniu

macrumors 68020
Why is Google on that list? 4 years of bowing to Chinese censorship. :confused:

I think the list is about respect from world leading CEOs, not from tabloid reading parrots.

Thankfully.

-----------------

Great to see Apple, Google and BMW 3 of my favourite large companies high up in the list. BMW really deserve their place, they've done great things the past few years with their efficient dynamics and the 1 series (which I ended up buying in Sept 09, felt good to buy a premium car that was environment conscious) - they really deserve a lot of respect for breaking ahead of the premium pack. Even though I have several disappointments with Apple recently, they lead so far ahead of their competitors, that even with their flaws they are no.1.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Well its easier to automatically assume its ***** because then theres no let down and when somethings really good, it actully brightens you up.

Perhaps it's the "half glass empty, half glass full" scenario. I see my glass as half full. Your comments seem to indicate that you see your glass as half empty.
I've set my expectations to be very pessimistic and still Apple hasn't managed to hit above that mark.

I don't know where to set my expectations of Apple anymore. I can't go any lower and they consistently have been hitting lower. If I set them higher I still am disappointed. I set them so low that nearly anything from Apple should be enough to brighten me up but it hasn't.

For me it's stagnant and boring.

DrStrange

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2008
Google bowing to chinese censorship is a well-known fact.

I think the list is about respect from world leading CEOs, not from tabloid reading parrots.

Thankfully.

-----------------

Great to see Apple, Google and BMW 3 of my favourite large companies high up in the list. BMW really deserve their place, they've done great things the past few years with their efficient dynamics and the 1 series (which I ended up buying in Sept 09, felt good to buy a premium car that was environment conscious) - they really deserve a lot of respect for breaking ahead of the premium pack. Even though I have several disappointments with Apple recently, they lead so far ahead of their competitors, that even with their flaws they are no.1.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
I've set my expectations to be very pessimistic and still Apple hasn't managed to hit above that mark.

I don't know where to set my expectations of Apple anymore. I can't go any lower and they consistently have been hitting lower. If I set them higher I still am disappointed. I set them so low that nearly anything from Apple should be enough to brighten me up but it hasn't.

Maybe computers are not for you. The Dells, HPs, and Acers of the world are certainly going to bring you disappointment. And that's years of experience talking.

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
1 year target estimate: $275

You cannot be serious. For your family's sake, please, do not do it! It's not going to happen!

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-03-04 at 19.51.54.png
    Screen shot 2010-03-04 at 19.51.54.png
    48 KB · Views: 102

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza

Agreed, the last 'exciting' thing they did was add the nvidia chopset to their product line.

After that there is nothing really 'wow' like the iPhone was. The iPad is just an overgrown iPhone meant to fill a gap in product lines. It's nice but again Apple aimed low (no cam, 16GB min, a gut upgrade and ebooks). The price is relatively high for what it does, $100 less would do very favorably.

As for the iPod line, that has hit a saturation point were sales have started to slow and Apple isn't comining with a better hardware yet. Not that there is much you can add.

Admired I feel in the sense of how well it's doing financially. Innovatively, not that much any more.

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth

What you may need is to take a break from a site like MR where you have obviously spent a lot of time posting (G3, indeed). It may be that you are simply burned out on all things Apple. And you are now projecting your burn out onto the companies products, where just nothing is bright and shiny enough.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
You cannot be serious. For your family's sake, please, do not do it! It's not going to happen!
What's wrong with $275 in a year? It's doable.

Plus, I invested in AAPL five years ago (I think the cost per share was $46 for me). It's not like I'm buying today at $210. Even if I was wrong and the share price stayed flat, I'm already up 350%.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else

You sound depressed. You might want to seek professional help.

As I touched on earlier, the market has been very pleased with Apple over the past few years. This survey also bears witness that other business leaders find Apple's execution to be meritorious.

My guess is that you are living a bit in a dreamworld with impossibly high standards, possibly in a land where the laws of physics or economics of consumer technology manufacturing do not apply. Do you apply the same expectations to other parts of your life? Do you feel that you should be dating a Sports Illustrated swimsuit model?

In the long run, no one or nothing can change the way you feel. You are the only person who can change the way you feel. That's a tad philosophical for this bboard, but essentially, that's life. Your world is what you make of it.

My advice to you: stop visiting tech gossip sites and do a little soul searching.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Agreed, the last 'exciting' thing they did was add the nvidia chopset to their product line.

After that there is nothing really 'wow' like the iPhone was. The iPad is just an overgrown iPhone meant to fill a gap in product lines. It's nice but again Apple aimed low (no cam, 16GB min, a gut upgrade and ebooks). The price is relatively high for what it does, $100 less would do very favorably.

As for the iPod line, that has hit a saturation point were sales have started to slow and Apple isn't comining with a better hardware yet. Not that there is much you can add.

Admired I feel in the sense of how well it's doing financially. Innovatively, not that much any more.
MCP79A was amazing. Now it's nearly the entire line today, still.

I don't have a need for an iPhone but that's not to say that I don't understand the benefits of such a product for others. I would rather give Apple my money over the alternatives but they haven't enticed me to do so over that I already own.

I've already owned several as well iPods but I never keep them for more than a few months before once again getting tired of them.

What you may need is to take a break from a site like MR where you have obviously spent a lot of time posting (G3, indeed). It may be that you are simply burned out on all things Apple. And you are now projecting your burn out onto the companies products, where just nothing is bright and shiny enough.
Don't worry. I have Linux and Windows to keep me entertained. I'm patiently waiting for an update to the M11x. Christmas looks good this year.

I have enough books to read as it is. :p

You sound depressed. You might want to seek professional help.

As I touched on earlier, the market has been very pleased with Apple over the past few years. This survey also bears witness that other business leaders find Apple's execution to be meritorious.

My guess is that you are living a bit in a dreamworld with impossibly high standards, possibly in a land where the laws of physics or economics of consumer technology manufacturing do not apply. Do you apply the same expectations to other parts of your life? Do you feel that you should be dating a Sports Illustrated swimsuit model?

In the long run, no one or nothing can change the way you feel. You are the only person who can change the way you feel. That's a tad philosophical for this bboard, but essentially, that's life. Your world is what you make of it.

My advice to you: stop visiting tech gossip sites and do a little soul searching.
You're looking too deeply into my hobby. Yes, striving to have an encyclopedic knowledge of past and bleeding edge computer hardware and software is only a hobby for me.

You'll see me get tough in some of the gaming threads on hardware. Paint me as a hardcore gamer if you must but I do have a job as well.

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
What's wrong with $275 in a year? It's doable.

Plus, I invested in AAPL five years ago (I think the cost per share was $46 for me). It's not like I'm buying today at $210. Even if I was wrong and the share price stayed flat, I'm already up 350%.

Are you sure that you really invested and you didn't see that in a film? I bought some in the summer but around Christmas, it was getting very intense. I knew that the tablet was coming out but in the end I just didn't want to leave it to Apple. You never know, what sort of capital mistake they make with their product launches. If the hype did not push the price further up, nothing will. Not even an extremely successful launch within a month.

Besides... You should have sold after two years and buy something else that performed better. In the last three years, you were almost sitting on a lost asset.

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween

You ever considered joining the AMD or nVidia forums???

Wanna talk Anime? :D

boncellis

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2006
Salt Lake City
Wow, this turned into a support group meeting for Eidorian rather quickly. I was really expecting more trolling and flaming back and forth.

I admit I'm a little disappointed.

On a serious note, is there a reason Apple only has one Core i5 machine available? Are those chips really that expensive, or am I missing something?

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
Don't worry. I have Linux and Windows to keep me entertained. I'm patiently waiting for an update to the M11x. Christmas looks good this year.

I have enough books to read as it is. :p

I really wasn't being totally facetious. I'm sure you are a well rounded person and all, but I've been here a long time and seen more than one person burn out on these boards. It isn't always pretty... :)

I do want to ask about your experience with the M11x. For me, it's more clunky than I like, and I find the design to be a bit garish (or maybe I'm just a prude). But I was wondering how you felt about the overall I/O performance on the machine (drive subsystem / memory subsystem / etc).

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
You ever considered joining the AMD or nVidia forums???

Wanna talk Anime? :D
This is MacRumors and I come here because it is Macrumors. Not that I'm against posting in an anime thread when on does show up in Community Discussion or elsewhere.

I have other boards that sate that topic if I want to discuss it.

I really wasn't being totally facetious. I'm sure you are a well rounded person and all, but I've been here a long time and seen more than one person burn out on these boards. It isn't always pretty... :)
I appreciate the concern. I'll admit that I do tend to go overboard. Perhaps it's just from experience. Sometimes you realize something that others don't and it can be terrifying.

I do want to ask about your experience with the M11x. For me, it's more clunky than I like, and I find the design to be a bit garish (or maybe I'm just a prude). But I was wondering how you felt about the overall I/O performance on the machine (drive subsystem / memory subsystem / etc).
Sadly, I don't own one just yet. I'll admit the intakes and lighting are token Alienware design and not the minimalist lines we see on our MacBooks.

Hardware Heaven does an extensive and nearly obsessive review of it. I just want an Arrandale version with nVidia Optimus. Hence my wait until Christmas for one.

My MacBook and OS X are very endearing to me. I'll just be sad when something forces it to stop working so well.

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
This is MacRumors and I come here because it is Macrumors. Not that I'm against posting in an anime thread when on does show up in Community Discussion or elsewhere.

I have other boards that sate that topic if I want to discuss it.

I appreciate the concern. I'll admit that I do tend to go overboard. Perhaps it's just from experience. Sometimes you realize something that others don't and it can be terrifying.

Sadly, I don't own one just yet. I'll admit the intakes and lighting are token Alienware design and not the minimalist lines we see on our MacBooks.

Hardware Heaven does an extensive and nearly obsessive review of it. I just want an Arrandale version with nVidia Optimus. Hence my wait until Christmas for one.

My MacBook and OS X are very endearing to me. I'll just be sad when something forces it to stop working so well.

Alienware designs are nice, but the scale of width to height that reminds me of those old Laptops that were practically bricks. I'm a minimalist type of person, so that's naturally repulsive. My websites that I design from hand reflect my minimalism. But they're still artistically sound. My website that Im working on now only uses about 4 colours total.

pbaird00

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2007
And Adobe #1 for Software

Interesting, Apple takes #1 in the Computer industry and Adobe in the Software industry... can't we all just get along?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Alienware designs are nice, but they're a bit cluncky for my preferences. Its that clunckyness and cable mess that made me go to Mac in the first place.
I'm willing to make those sacrifices to have that much GPU power in an 11.6" notebook. In that form factor you'd normally expect to see an overpriced Atom netbook or just Intel integrated graphics.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.