Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

caveman_uk

Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
I'm looking to set up a message board for my website and I'm interested in people's opinions on the numerous deicated message board hosting services. I currently do have basic hosting but it will cost be an extra $7 a month just to get php/mysql added to that account. Consequently if anyone knows of a cheap, reliable dedicated hosting service for ad free message boards I'd like to hear some suggestions. It doesn't have to be free - just less than $7 pcm.

Thanks in advance.

ChrisWB

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2004
Chicago
Caveman,

I have used a number of hosts and I settled on A Small Orange. They let you do just about anything with the amount of space you get. There are no restrictions on the number of domains/subdomains, mysql databases, email addresses, etc. you can have.

As for forum software, I'm a big fan of both PunBB and Vanilla, though there are more standard (free) forum packages such as phpBB (which I highly recommend you avoid) and Invision Power Board (good, but bloated).

I'd be glad to help you set any of these up if you have trouble.

ChrisWB

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2004
Chicago
Whoops. I'm out of the loop. IPB doesn't have a free version anymore. Just to throw in another option, there's also Simple Machines Forums (SMF).

When it comes to paid-for forum software, I like the looks of IPB the best, but vBullitin is more of the standard.

caveman_uk

Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
I wasn't thinking so much of the actual software the forum would run on (I quite like the look of PunBB myself). I was more after a recommendation of a host that just does forum hosting. There's plenty of free ones around eg proboards.com or jabberboards.com. I was wondering if anyone had any experience of these hosts or does everyone just do it on their normal host?

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
Another vote for A Small Orange.

Responsive, reliable, reasonably priced and full-featured (including a three-click automated Fantastico installation of SMF or phpBB).

As a New Yorker, I was skeptical about dealing with Texans, but they've really been great! ;)

Oh, and FWIW, you'll notice from this thread where I asked for hosting recommendations last year, the owner of ASO is a MacRumors member! (It's timdorr, if you're interested....)

turbopants

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2006
Chicago
A normal host that supports php and mysql should be fine for your forum needs, they don't necessarily have to specialize in hosting forums.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.