Forum hosting - recommendations?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by caveman_uk, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Guest

caveman_uk

I'm looking to set up a message board for my website and I'm interested in people's opinions on the numerous deicated message board hosting services. I currently do have basic hosting but it will cost be an extra $7 a month just to get php/mysql added to that account. Consequently if anyone knows of a cheap, reliable dedicated hosting service for ad free message boards I'd like to hear some suggestions. It doesn't have to be free - just less than $7 pcm.

Thanks in advance.

2. macrumors 6502

Caveman,

I have used a number of hosts and I settled on A Small Orange. They let you do just about anything with the amount of space you get. There are no restrictions on the number of domains/subdomains, mysql databases, email addresses, etc. you can have.

As for forum software, I'm a big fan of both PunBB and Vanilla, though there are more standard (free) forum packages such as phpBB (which I highly recommend you avoid) and Invision Power Board (good, but bloated).

I'd be glad to help you set any of these up if you have trouble.

3. macrumors P6

~Shard~

My friend uses Invision, and it's quite good, however had said that it is quite bloated, as ChrisWB indicated.

4. macrumors 601

eva01

I think that IPB actually costs more than vB these days.

and i reccomend vB over anything else, i love it

5. macrumors 6502

Whoops. I'm out of the loop. IPB doesn't have a free version anymore. Just to throw in another option, there's also Simple Machines Forums (SMF).

When it comes to paid-for forum software, I like the looks of IPB the best, but vBullitin is more of the standard.

6. thread starter Guest

caveman_uk

I wasn't thinking so much of the actual software the forum would run on (I quite like the look of PunBB myself). I was more after a recommendation of a host that just does forum hosting. There's plenty of free ones around eg proboards.com or jabberboards.com. I was wondering if anyone had any experience of these hosts or does everyone just do it on their normal host?

7. macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

Another vote for A Small Orange.

Responsive, reliable, reasonably priced and full-featured (including a three-click automated Fantastico installation of SMF or phpBB).

As a New Yorker, I was skeptical about dealing with Texans, but they've really been great! ;)

Oh, and FWIW, you'll notice from this thread where I asked for hosting recommendations last year, the owner of ASO is a MacRumors member! (It's timdorr, if you're interested....)

8. macrumors 6502

Most people do it with their normal host. Take a look at Myacen or TJR Networks. :)

9. macrumors regular

A normal host that supports php and mysql should be fine for your forum needs, they don't necessarily have to specialize in hosting forums.