Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
Now that I have updated Safari to Version 10 I get a request to activate Flash when I visit some of MacRumors forum pages, including the one I am using now to write this post.
I have denied it and the page does not seem to be affected in any way.
Can someone at MacRumors explain why is the use of Flash requested in the first place?

Thanks

Reactions: grahamperrin

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Flash isn't required for the page itself. I suppose an ad may be trying to use it, but that shouldn't be happening either.

Are there any blank areas of the page or "missing plugin" warnings showing where the content would be displayed if you were to grant permission?

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
As far as I can tell the page looks the same whether I say yes or no to the Flash request.
I don't see how it could be an AD as I am using ABP (sorry).
I am not trying to Upload a file.

In any case, thanks for your replies, but are you not experiencing the same? Are you on Safari 10?

I have now resorted to blocking Flash permanently for MR, however there is no doubt that something in the forum pages (it doesn't happen on the front page) is attempting to open Flash (or at least that is what Safari 10 thinks).

EDIT: I have whitelisted MR on ABP and again I cannot see anything missing from the page if I deny Flash from running after receiving a request. All the Ads seem to load correctly regardless of my response.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Oct 11, 2015
There's new plugin control in Safari 10 (I'm not using it yet) thus the new behavior by notification to enable Flash.

I looked through the page Script folder, etc..., in "Show Page Source" and it appears that the "Upload a File" call for Flash is executed upon loading the page. It's not required to actually click the button.

@WildCowboy knows much more than I about this, and I'm sure he'll report back his findings.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
Screenshot from 2016-09-29 15-29-30.png

That's probably the flash thing that's trying to load. It does have something to do with upload a file

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Now that I have updated Safari to Version 10 I get a request to activate Flash when I visit some of MacRumors forum pages, including the one I am using now to write this post.
I have denied it and the page does not seem to be affected in any way.
Can someone at MacRumors explain why is the use of Flash requested in the first place?

Thanks

https://forums.macrumors.com/account/preferences

Try going here and unchecking the Flash setting I marked with the arrow.

Screen_Shot_2016-09-29_at_8_59_54_AM.png

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Thanks, folks...forgot about that aspect. I have the Flash uploader turned on in my account settings, but don't get prompted to load Flash. But it looks like I previously denied Flash permanently on the forums, and I've been on Sierra for so long I forgot I did it. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.