Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I personally don't need to believe it was my post that was the moral police. On another question, do you talk to your wife, girl friend or friends like that? I really don't care for this is the internet and you can be as pejorative as you want. Over and out.

I am the one being pejorative in this thread?

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
So much faith in SIRI. Just for the hell of it I tried that on my phone here is the exact response.

Me. Who does this phone belong too?

Siri. Checking on that.

Siri. Here's What i found on the Web.

Then provides a list of web sites like. (1) Who does a phone number belong
too. (2) Have you ever tried to find out who a phone number belong too.

LOL

Well I did say with any luck...however, it works for me so I don't know why you think it's a joke. If you haven't trained Siri then, yes, she is not as useful.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Well I did say with any luck...however, it works for me so I don't know why you think it's a joke. If you haven't trained Siri then, yes, she is not as useful.

My phone is locked tight; nothing on locked screen. No notifications, Siri, control panel. I guess on the home screen I should display google voice number.

rc135tx

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2010
UPDATE:

The friend was overwhelmed by the various ways of trying to find the original owner, so he dropped it off at my place this morning and said I could try whatever I wanted to.

I first tried tracking him through the IMEI number, but that proved unsuccessful. I only found out that he had gotten it blacklisted. After various trials and errors I happened upon the brilliantly obvious idea of googling the number the phone said to contact. It brought up a facebook name. When I had plugged the phone into iTunes, it showed parts of the email address of the person's Apple ID. The email on the Facebook page matched those parts, and from there it was relatively easy to contact him. We met at a Target and justice reigns. :)

Excellent! Not many would take the trouble you did. Great job!!!!

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
My phone is locked tight; nothing on locked screen. No notifications, Siri, control panel. I guess on the home screen I should display google voice number.

It's not a bad idea. I use the ICE Standard app to display my photo, emergency contact, medical history and blood type in the lock screen. It will give any medical personnel who find me, and I hope they never need to, a way to quickly assess me.

Azy

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012
In the UK this would be theft (i.e. Theft by finding). The only defence you would have to this is if you have taken all reasonable steps to find the owner. The obvious easy way to do this is to hand it to a police station lost department and as mentioned previously generally speaking if not claimed you can claim it after a time has elapsed.

Could be different over the pond, but here just finding something doesn't automatically make it yours and if you have taken reasonable steps to return it to the owner it is theft.

Obviously reasonable depends on what the item is and the value. So for an iPhone the steps would have to be significant and realistically will involve a police station.

There is also a register (in the uk at least) that mobile phone operators and persons can put phones that have been lost/stolen and the police can check the imei against that register and retrace the owner.

Beachguy

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2011
Florida, USA
You may also visit a phone store and see if they can identify the carrier and owner. This may vary from store to store- I would go to an official store.

My boss lost his Samsung G4 and the one who found it went to a store, and they were able to find the rightful owner. My boss paid the guy $100 for his honesty.

taptic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
California
You may also visit a phone store and see if they can identify the carrier and owner. This may vary from store to store- I would go to an official store.

My boss lost his Samsung G4 and the one who found it went to a store, and they were able to find the rightful owner. My boss paid the guy $100 for his honesty.

Yeah, the guy was pretty happy to get it back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.