Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Just this week, I picked up a new nib (fine) for one of my Meisterstuck Classique pens which had been ordered around six weeks ago. It was good to get the pen back, in one piece, too.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Picked this one up over the weekend.

IMG_3870.jpg

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Picked this one up over the weekend.

View attachment 685139

What a fantastic pen. Where did you find it and had you any difficulty getting it to write?

Have you had difficulty obtaining ink for it?

Personally, I love writing with Mont Blanc fountain pens.

How does it feel in your hand, - as in balance, comfort - how does it write and how do you enjoy writing with it?

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
What a fantastic pen. Where did you find it and had you any difficulty getting it to write?

Have you had difficulty obtaining ink for it?

Personally, I love writing with Mont Blanc fountain pens.

How does it feel in your hand, - as in balance, comfort - how does it write and how do you enjoy writing with it?

I picked this up at a watch show. A friend pointed it out to me, and I was able to buy it for a reasonable price.

I inked it up and it has given me no trouble so far-I've used it a fair bit today. The nib is fine but has some flex to it, which I prefer. It lays down a pleasantly wet line. It is lightweight and nicely balanced when unposted. Overall, it was a pen to which I took very naturally-that's certainly not always the case for me.

I have bottled ink running out my ears, so finding ink wasn't a problem :) . The old iron gall formula Mont Blanc Midnight Blue has been my favorite ink for a long time, although it's no longer made and my last bottle is almost empty. I've been watching for more, but have pretty much switched over to Pelikan Edelstein Sapphire for my daily use ink(and the occasional Waterman Blue). I decided that it was appropriate to ink up this one for the first time with my favorite MB ink.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I picked this up at a watch show. A friend pointed it out to me, and I was able to buy it for a reasonable price.

I inked it up and it has given me no trouble so far-I've used it a fair bit today. The nib is fine but has some flex to it, which I prefer. It lays down a pleasantly wet line. It is lightweight and nicely balanced when unposted. Overall, it was a pen to which I took very naturally-that's certainly not always the case for me.

I have bottled ink running out my ears, so finding ink wasn't a problem :) . The old iron gall formula Mont Blanc Midnight Blue has been my favorite ink for a long time, although it's no longer made and my last bottle is almost empty. I've been watching for more, but have pretty much switched over to Pelikan Edelstein Sapphire for my daily use ink(and the occasional Waterman Blue). I decided that it was appropriate to ink up this one for the first time with my favorite MB ink.

Yes, I remember reading that the old iron gall formula Mont Blanc Midnight Blue had been discontinued, and I did wonder what you used instead.

Enjoy the pen, and - above all - enjoy using it; I use (only Mont Blancs) but use mostly cartridges - for convenience, as I travel a lot (and write a lot). And yes, I love the Midnight Blue, too.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Yes, I remember reading that the old iron gall formula Mont Blanc Midnight Blue had been discontinued, and I did wonder what you used instead.

Enjoy the pen, and - above all - enjoy using it; I use (only Mont Blancs) but use mostly cartridges - for convenience, as I travel a lot (and write a lot). And yes, I love the Midnight Blue, too.

Thanks.

This is my first Mont Blanc, and so far I'm really enjoying it. It was quite inexpensive compared to a current model, and the nice thing about these(at least from the research) is that their popularity is such that they aren't faked like the 140-series.

As it turns out, the Sheaffer Balance is style pen to which I naturally take, and it's a widely copied pattern including in the 140-series Mont Blancs. I'd love to have a 146(which is actually a bit smaller than my Oversize Balance, a very comfortable pen for me to use) but I don't want to spend the money on a new one and fakes are so rampant on the used market that I'm a bit leery of buying one. I wouldn't mind a 149 either, even though they certainly are a fair bit larger than the 146/oversize Balance.

BTW, here's the "ink corner" of my desk, which is a small selection of my ink collection. I actually bought the bottle of Edelstein a while back because I got it super cheap on sale and loved the bottle. Initially, I wasn't crazy about the ink(it's dry like a typical Pelikan ink) but have used it a lot and have really warmed up to it. Of course, using it in a wet writing pen alleviates a lot of perceived dryness.

Also, for grading purposes I tend to use either Pelikan Red or Sheaffer Green. Pelikan Red has a nice distinct color that isn't as "in your face" as a lot of red inks but also serves as something of my signature when I working with graders. The Sheaffer is also distinctive looking, and being 30 year out of production has its advantages :) . In particular, a student altering their grade is fairly obvious, as they likely aren't going to be able to match the ink. I've even mixed my own burgundy-brown grading inks for that reason.

IMG_3873.jpg

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Thanks.

This is my first Mont Blanc, and so far I'm really enjoying it. It was quite inexpensive compared to a current model, and the nice thing about these(at least from the research) is that their popularity is such that they aren't faked like the 140-series.

As it turns out, the Sheaffer Balance is style pen to which I naturally take, and it's a widely copied pattern including in the 140-series Mont Blancs. I'd love to have a 146(which is actually a bit smaller than my Oversize Balance, a very comfortable pen for me to use) but I don't want to spend the money on a new one and fakes are so rampant on the used market that I'm a bit leery of buying one. I wouldn't mind a 149 either, even though they certainly are a fair bit larger than the 146/oversize Balance.

BTW, here's the "ink corner" of my desk, which is a small selection of my ink collection. I actually bought the bottle of Edelstein a while back because I got it super cheap on sale and loved the bottle. Initially, I wasn't crazy about the ink(it's dry like a typical Pelikan ink) but have used it a lot and have really warmed up to it. Of course, using it in a wet writing pen alleviates a lot of perceived dryness.

Also, for grading purposes I tend to use either Pelikan Red or Sheaffer Green. Pelikan Red has a nice distinct color that isn't as "in your face" as a lot of red inks but also serves as something of my signature when I working with graders. The Sheaffer is also distinctive looking, and being 30 year out of production has its advantages :) . In particular, a student altering their grade is fairly obvious, as they likely aren't going to be able to match the ink. I've even mixed my own burgundy-brown grading inks for that reason.

View attachment 685142

Thanks for sharing.

I have never bought a Mont Blanc pen from anyone other than an authorised dealer, - so am not concerned about fakes, but yours is understated and very attractive, I must admit.

I like them because they are so beautiful balanced in the hand and write without tiring my wrist.

For my hand a 149 is far too large, I prefer the 146, or a 145, and love the discontinued Meisterstuck 144, which, although small, is extraordinarily comfortable to write with, and is my pen for daily use.

Rendergroup

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2009
Perú (South America)
Hello Bunnspecial, congrats for your new acquisition :)
Have you considered Pelikan Blue black instead of Midnight Blue old formula?, I know you have to purchase it overseas (not available in USA) but I think is worthy, I have two small bottles (30ml.) and I tested for waterproofness water and Isopropyl alcohol and it's outstanding.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
I'm having a problem with my girlfriends Mont Blanc. I can't get it to write properly. I've tried flushing it out with warm water and everything looks ok but... Here's a pic. The top line is hers and the bottom mine. Her pen looks like pencil. Both are from the same cartridge. Any ideas?

62624baf022a104ad21da7ce4b9ee8ce.jpg

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I'm having a problem with my girlfriends Mont Blanc. I can't get it to write properly. I've tried flushing it out with warm water and everything looks ok but... Here's a pic. The top line is hers and the bottom mine. Her pen looks like pencil. Both are from the same cartridge. Any ideas?

62624baf022a104ad21da7ce4b9ee8ce.jpg

Bring it to an authorised Mont Blanc dealer and see what they have to say; that is what I would do.

Reactions: AVBeatMan

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Hello Bunnspecial, congrats for your new acquisition :)
Have you considered Pelikan Blue black instead of Midnight Blue old formula?, I know you have to purchase it overseas (not available in USA) but I think is worthy, I have two small bottles (30ml.) and I tested for waterproofness water and Isopropyl alcohol and it's outstanding.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I got into fountain pens shortly before Pelikan B-B disappeared here, and at the time I was a black ink guy. As my tastes have shifted, I now tend toward standard blues and blue-blacks for general purpose writing.

I found a 62.5mL bottle of Pelikan B-B on Ebay from Japan for $15 with free shipping. Considering how crazy fountain pen inks have become(I was shocked to see that Pelikan Edelsteins, which I consider good but not phenomenal inks packed in one of the most attractive bottles on the market, now retail for $32/bottle). I'll certainly give it a try.

Rendergroup

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2009
Perú (South America)
Check the prices at lacouronneducomte.nl they have very attractive prices, since Pelikan is an European brand, other good place to find stationary and fountain pens stuff is Cult Pens (UK) they have the big size 62.5ml bottle. I've made purchases from both stores, always ask in lacouronneducomte if they have in stock, both of them are good stores.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Actually, I would love to hear some of your thoughts on the topic of good quality paper, (very good quality paper) - that is, paper of a quality to hold ink well - and where I might be able to obtain it.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Actually, I would love to hear some of your thoughts on the topic of good quality paper, (very good quality paper) - that is, paper of a quality to hold ink well - and where I might be able to obtain it.

Rhodia seems to be seen as the 'go-to' fountain pen paper, though I'm not a massive fan myself. I prefer Oxford Optik, which is about half the price but, in my opinion, better as there's far less bleeding and showthrough using thicker nibs.

I have only tried a scrap of Tomoe River, but that is a really interesting paper - takes ink very well, but is incredibly thin and light.

I also use a Moleskine notebook, but it seems to be a bit of a Marmite paper - some people say it's terrible for FPs, some seem to swear by it. With thin nibs, I find it great to use, but it does fall down with pens which lay down more ink than average.

sk1wbw

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia

All you need to know is Tomo-e river paper. Unlike any paper on the planet.
[doublepost=1489529625][/doublepost]Oh, and I just bought a Pilot Custom Heritage 823 from Goulet Pens today. I hope to have it on Friday.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Oh I'm sure I will. This is my last pen. Ever. Seriously. Well, until I get a Namiki maki-e pen. :)

Let us know how you find it when writing with it.

And also - re the word "last" - may I simply say "famous last words..."

This is not a criticism - more the voice of experience from someone who has made that same futile profession of faith.

Suffice to say, I am not entirely sure that I could make such a statement entirely credibly.

sk1wbw

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
Let us know how you find it when writing with it.

And also - re the word "last" - may I simply say "famous last words..."

This is not a criticism - more the voice of experience from someone who has made that same futile profession of faith.

Suffice to say, I am not entirely sure that I could make such a statement entirely credibly.

It writes smooth as a baby's buttocks. I love it. I like it obviously more than my Pilot 92 because it's bigger. The Custom Heritage 92 is nice but it was too small for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.