Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coved

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2023
I updated my Mini6 to IPADOS17 and I found the FPS drop from 60 to 59 every 5 seconds when I play wild rift. Not only the fps drop , the whole screen seems frozen for like 0.5 sec. So, I switch it back to 16.6.1 and the FPS is keeping up at 60 like before.

Then, the 16.7 is up. I made some test on my mini 5 by updating it to 16.7. Same **** happened when I play wild rift.

Apply may put something similar in 17 and 16.7 to cause the same issue. Don't know if it can be turn off by some settings.

For anyone who play games, you may want to wait until the bug is fixed.

FrostLK8

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2019
Apple destroyed gaming in OS 16 onwards. Search this forum, there are multiple threads with hundreds of responses about a ProMotion bug that completely ruins game performance in all games (whether demanding or not) by making CrapMotion interfere with in-game frame rates so that nothing runs smoothly at all anymore.

For me, the only workaround I've found is to manually limit the screen refresh rate to 60 in Settings, and even then this only works in Genshin Impact that I've tested so far. Even that 60 FPS is not anywhere near as smooth as a native 60 FPS screen would be.

This wasn't the case at all prior to iOS 16, everything worked perfectly fine. Then when they released 16 they apparently acknowledged there's an issue in Nov 2022, and proceeded to do absolutely nothing about it all this time so even the simplest of games have total crap frame rates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.