Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tonywalker23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 21, 2003
SC
i ordered a mac pro last night but didnt think about the printer deal. got to thinking about it. i really dont need another printer but hey, if it cost $100 and the rebate is $100 whats to lose?

so the two printers to chose from are the Canon PIXMA iP6220D Photo Printer and the HP Photosmart C3180 All-in-One Printer, Scanner, Copier.

i hardly ever scan, print photos, or do anything other than school reports in plain black ink. but if you could get a free one which would you get?

please help quick, i can only get the free printer if its on the same order as the mac pro, which means i have to add it before the mac pro is shipped!

thanks! ! ! ! !

CorvusCamenarum

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2004
Birmingham, AL
tonywalker23 said:
i ordered a mac pro last night but didnt think about the printer deal. got to thinking about it. i really dont need another printer but hey, if it cost $100 and the rebate is $100 whats to lose?

so the two printers to chose from are the Canon PIXMA iP6220D Photo Printer and the HP Photosmart C3180 All-in-One Printer, Scanner, Copier.

i hardly ever scan, print photos, or do anything other than school reports in plain black ink. but if you could get a free one which would you get?

please help quick, i can only get the free printer if its on the same order as the mac pro, which means i have to add it before the mac pro is shipped!

thanks! ! ! ! !

I'd go with the Canon, since my previous experiences with HP have been nothing but utter crap. My Canon Pixma, on the other hand, is as clost to perfect as you could expect. The replacement ink is about half the cost, too.

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
I just bought the pixma with my purchase. So I get a printer for free and an iPod (black btw, to match my white MB) for $70. :D I've been looking for ages and canon seem to have the most consistent record in terms of reliability and ok priced cartidges. HP seem to be ok, but the number of people complaining about their printers, on Amazon for example, is pretty high.

Foxglove9

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2006
New York City
I have a Canon Pixma too. Got it as a freebie for buying a Canon digital camera. I love the printer, it blows away my old Epson 800 I had.

So yeah, go for the Canon.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
Even though it's not one your choices, I say Epson. I've had no problems with them - they work AWESOME. :) ..that's if you really need a new printer.

But get the Canon in your situation.

coal

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2005
Portland, OR
HP has a $50 rebate on printers until the 16th if purchased with a computer.

It requires the original UPC, but I was able to talk to Apple and convince them to accept a copy of the UPC. Obviously this is dependent on your situation, but there is no harm in trying as it would essentially turn into an extra $50 off of the computer.

http://h30014.www3.hp.com/offers/US/detail.asp?id=1350

That said, I prefer Canon printers and have only had a single problem involving the print head that was quickly resolved by Canon support. I have the IP 4200 right now and cannot say enough good things about the print quality and durability.

DamoRed

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2006
A friend of mine bought the HP all in one and had endless trouble. The on/off button simply refused to work some days. Then when she carted it back to where she bought it, they laid the blame on HP, and HP laid the blame on the shop. Customer service and back up, what's that??

On the other hand, some people I know with Canon printers are mightily impressed with them, having had Epson before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.