Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigmc6000

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2006
Didn't El Jobso address that at the WWDC? Wouldn't applications that "required" running in the background be able to utilize Push technology, instead? So that instead of constantly checking for new messages and destroying battery life, messages would be "pushed" to the phone instead?

I could be phrasing it wrong, but I think this was Jobs' solution to applications wanting to run in the background...

I think he also said that wasn't going to be available until September so I guess you'll need to have AIM open to use it.

edka

macrumors member
May 16, 2007
this is new chat client made by Agile messenger

really sweet too
img0001ks2.png

4.png

agilemessenger_18.jpg

you can even copy text

agile5.jpg

sargent bannana

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2008
ok if this is for the ipod touch this is the first that i am going to download and i am goign to ditch my sidekick and get a regular phone :D

iPaul

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2006
It would not use texts. The SDK can only be used to create apps that run over the internet (using data!). The SDK does not provide app creators with the ability to make apps that access the actual phone bands (over which SMS are sent). SMS are not data. Why is this difficult?!

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
I'm almost sure that it wouldn't be counted as text messaging. It's just packets of internet data being transferred.

SMS data is just 7-bit ASCII text. It is, literally, just a few bytes worth of data. And unlike voice, QoS doesn't matter as much because if you drop the packet... just send it again.

1973 called. It's charging 10 cents for a basic message now. And your kid. Yeah, we want the kid, too. :eek:

We got a standard for FTP, for email and for the Web, why can't everyone agree on an IM standard that also does audio and video?

Look at Jabber (open-source solution; Google is committed. It's text, expandable to voice and video.) Also, there is SIP. It's used for VoIP right now, so voice is well-covered, to say the least. But it also has the ability to send text messages. Video is in the works, but H.323 has the lead in that right now.

megfilmworks

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2007
Sherman Oaks
I agree. MSN is junk and the fact that people can change their display name is really annoying. Luckily, being in the US, I don't know anyone who actually uses MSN so it all works out.
I think the reason AIM prevailed and MSN never got a foothold in the US was because of the early dominance of AOL here.

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
It would not use texts. The SDK can only be used to create apps that run over the internet (using data!). The SDK does not provide app creators with the ability to make apps that access the actual phone bands (over which SMS are sent). SMS are not data. Why is this difficult?!

The real question is if we'd be able to do IM over 3G and not just wifi. Can someone refresh my memory on what Steve said about this, if anything?

bigmc6000

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2006
The real question is if we'd be able to do IM over 3G and not just wifi. Can someone refresh my memory on what Steve said about this, if anything?

You'll be able to use 3G, EDGE, Wi-Fi. It's just data - same protocol as YouTube or Weather or Stocks.

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
If you had watched the WWDC keynote you'd know that a really good work-around solution is in place. IMs would be useless if you had to be in the app to use it (receive messages, etc).

Good thing is, it's free! That, along with the eBay app and others will make paying 10$ for my iPod touch upgrade worth it.

I did watch the keynote. But Steve said the notification proxying was coming 'later'. AOL better have another solution until Apple's solution is functional.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I did watch the keynote. But Steve said the notification proxying was coming 'later'. AOL better have another solution until Apple's solution is functional.

Notification proxy is only for apps not on top. If the app is launched (on top, for lack of a better word), then it does not need notification.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
tclary spotted it? spotted what? i thought everyone saw that aim was clearly listed in the app store on the video. it was on the screen for nearly 15 seconds! its not like it was unexpected. they said they would make it. they even had early copies of the sdk so apple could show it off. why is it news that its free? aim is always free...just like msn, google talk and yahoo im. am i the only one who was expecting to download aim next week for free?? along with the free iControl or whatever it will be called...and apparently the contacts application from the iPod Touch?? (weird) i wonder if apple will throw any more freebies at us like a unit converter or a to-do list. i just know that even with all the freebies i'm going to be spending WAY too much money next week. i want that musical instrument app and super monkey ball and i want it yesterday! only 10 more days...

djdole

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2007
why would any of you think it would cost anything to send and receive a AIM message? I don't think AIM is going to start charging just Iphone users. lol

It won't cost anything except battery life.
It'll either be constantly pinging the server to pull new messages down (read: keeping the edge/wifi radio active) or it'll suck as an app and require you to request it check the server for new messages (similar to email).

Even still, pretty sweet app. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.