Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
Does it incorporate the games edition then?

Pro gives you the license ability for BOTH Apps and Games version of Crossover. It also has a longer support ability (should you so choose to renew it)

When the site comes back up everyone with unanswered questions or confusion should really go there and it'll clarify things up when you go into your account.

Thank God I got mine last night before all this mass traffic. I'm already picking through my software cd's deciding what's needed and what's not and installing.

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe
why did you do both? the pro incorporates the other one

Are you sure?

Pro gives you the license ability for BOTH Apps and Games version of Crossover. It also has a longer support ability (should you so choose to renew it)

When the site comes back up everyone with unanswered questions or confusion should really go there and it'll clarify things up when you go into your account.

Thank God I got mine last night before all this mass traffic. I'm already picking through my software cd's deciding what's needed and what's not and installing.

Thanks for the clarification. I don't really game that much at all, but still downloaded both not knowing the Pro had it included. I guess I will delete the game download edition.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland

Thanks, so I will be sticking to the Pro edition then...and despite the traffic, download speeds were close to instantaneous on my 5Mbps connection...really good job, CW!

PURCELL429

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2007
Also did you know that MS Office Mac 2004 was more advanced than the current Office XP for Windows at the time? Similar with other versions.

It was one of the many 'leg ups' the Apple community had over the Windows versions of office. First being Office was developed for Mac first (Apple was MS's first REAL customer).

Anyway, that's WAY OFF TOPIC. 2008 isn't 'that' bad, it has it's hiccups, but so did many if not all the Windows versions at first, same with the Mac versions. It'll streamline, it's still a good upgrade from 2004, and I like the features in IT better than Office 2007.

Yeah, 2004 was great, i'll give you that. And I certainly like the design of 2008 better than the windows version. But again, I have to ask, why would they make 2008 incapable of even displaying (let alone editing) equations made with Word 2007? I may as well use NeoOffice at that point. It's sad that Microsoft can't even make a product that works with other versions of itself. That said, I really do like powerpoint and excel, but I think that word 2008 is a pitiful excuse for an upgrade. It was much easier before they insisted on all this .docx crap. Ok, rant off.

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
I'm sure this has been mentioned if not, I'll repost it.

This is what happened last night when I started the process.

• I created an account (you'll need this since your email will be tied to this)
  • I clicked on the Duck (probably not needed when site comes back up)
  • On the next page it had the request for Pro or Games and there it mentioned Pro had BOTH Crossover Games and Crossover (the apps version and it DOES do games as well)
  • I entered my email address/login information, and clicked send me serial number
  • I got the email with my serial number and while logged in to the codeweavers site, clicked on the link in my email (the link is what registers your email to THAT serial number)
  • The page that came up was prepopulated with my user name/name, email address, I pasted the serial number given to me and submitted
  • It said everything was right with the world and that the sky was blue and water was wet.
  • It also mentioned that for the time being (under 'My Downloads') that i should download the trial version and unlock it.
  • After installing and starting the trial version the registration window poooooped up, I entered my name and email address and it sent data back and forth and said "This copy is fully unlocked, thank you for taking advantage of us giving this free software even though we are going to go bankrupt after tomorrow or be bought out by Bank of America since we don't qualify for the bail out money" and viola, she was full blowin copy of crossover and crossover games.
So not sure how it's going now but if it's similar you'll need to register the serial number on the web with your email.

Just wanted to share how it went BEFORE the clamity that's gonig on now to help others know that the process isn't that hard.

Yeah, 2004 was great, i'll give you that. And I certainly like the design of 2008 better than the windows version. But again, I have to ask, why would they make 2008 incapable of even displaying (let alone editing) equations made with Word 2007? I may as well use NeoOffice at that point. It's sad that Microsoft can't even make a product that works with other versions of itself. That said, I really do like powerpoint and excel, but I think that word 2008 is a pitiful excuse for an upgrade. It was much easier before they insisted on all this .docx crap. Ok, rant off.

Well considering the Mactopia is a totally seperate almost isolated team who knows. The Docx is a bit stupid though I totally agree. I know why they did it, but still. Anyway, save for a different thread :D

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Nabbed mine last night as well. Project64 seems to run ok (only tried diddy kong), but app crashes when coming out of full screen. Might try 1964 tonight.

I could not get nullDC to work after installing the flash and bios in the appropriate folder. I'll fiddle around with it more tonight to see if I can get it working. It is listed as working fine in the Wine App DB, so there has to be a way.

Yeah, I like emulators :D

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
I'm a bit confused. I DEFINITELY want to make sure I take advantage of this since I was about to set up BootCamp for just a small number of apps that I wanted to try. I went to the site, entered my email, got the message indicating I'd get a serial code in a few days. I then tried to download the app, BUT it's not working (clicking it or right click/save as). Will the serial code I get in the next few days (no problem with the wait, I'm quite happy to do so for a free application like this) work with a some future trial version download, or do I need to keep trying to download the version they have posted for today?

Thanks for any help!

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I'm a bit confused. I DEFINITELY want to make sure I take advantage of this since I was about to set up BootCamp for just a small number of apps that I wanted to try. I went to the site, entered my email, got the message indicating I'd get a serial code in a few days. I then tried to download the app, BUT it's not working (clicking it or right click/save as). Will the serial code I get in the next few days (no problem with the wait, I'm quite happy to do so for a free application like this) work with a some future trial version download, or do I need to keep trying to download the version they have posted for today?

Thanks for any help!

Works fine with Safari on OSX.

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
Most nice of them, what can I say.

Tried to install clue -- didn't work properly.

Probably not, I certainly hope everyone who hasn't had much experience or no experience with Crossover holds off and goes to the website (when it's up and running) and checks the compatibility list (there are different lists for Crossover and Crossover Games) before posting the ever so "XXXX doesn't install on Crossover/XOver Games" but we all know that's going to happen anyway.

Some games/applications have tips/tricks on installing or how to setup the app to run a particular program. Not all of the apps are straight forward.

Like for instance, a previous version Crossover I had to create a certain run command to get Guild Wars working properly (was posted in the forums my testing with GW and XOver) but that might have changed now.

LOTRO requires some special settings/configuration to get it up and running as well.

For those unfamiliar with the list, if you click on the Title of the software, there's several tabs that come up, I suggest reading through them. Also make note of the status of the Title "Honorabe Mention, Gold, Silver, Not Supported, etc" that also helps as a quick glance to what works. If the Title isn't listed, that doesn't necessarily mean it won't work, just no one has reported it or pledged for it. You can probably pledge or request an entry for the Title.

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
Probably not, I certainly hope everyone who hasn't had much experience or no experience with Crossover holds off and goes to the website (when it's up and running) and checks the compatibility list (there are different lists for Crossover and Crossover Games) before posting the ever so "XXXX doesn't install on Crossover/XOver Games" but we all know that's going to happen anyway.

Some games/applications have tips/tricks on installing or how to setup the app to run a particular program. Not all of the apps are straight forward.

Like for instance, a previous version Crossover I had to create a certain run command to get Guild Wars working properly (was posted in the forums my testing with GW and XOver) but that might have changed now.

LOTRO requires some special settings/configuration to get it up and running as well.

For those unfamiliar with the list, if you click on the Title of the software, there's several tabs that come up, I suggest reading through them. Also make note of the status of the Title "Honorabe Mention, Gold, Silver, Not Supported, etc" that also helps as a quick glance to what works. If the Title isn't listed, that doesn't necessarily mean it won't work, just no one has reported it or pledged for it. You can probably pledge or request an entry for the Title.

Is this compatibility list somewhere else than on their site (which is down)? I'm having problems with Galactic Civilizations II.

Gray-Wolf

macrumors 68030
Apr 19, 2008
Pandora, Home Tree
For those worried about registering it in time, this from their site

Use this form to register for a serial number. Due to load, expect your serial number to be emailed to you in a few days. If you already have a serial number, but cannot register it, please check back tomorrow or later in the week; we will make sure that all issued codes are valid long enough for everyone to register.

jayen-aitch

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2008
I'm waiting for my mac to arrive... I've been told it should be another week. Two things I wonder are: Will registration still work then? And will the new macs be able to run it when I don't think they are intel?

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Patience my young padawan :D

Yes, based on it, but the 2 compatibility lists are different. A lot of similarities but still different.

True, but I only meant it as a general guideline since they share the same base. Why else would I be trying to get nullDC working? :D

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
does anyone know if Spore works with this? i'm currently basically only playing that, so it would be great if it was supported...

and im still confused about the difference, why are there two versions, how are they different?

1. Spore is a hybrid. It works on Mac OS X. You don't need Crossover.
2. One is optimized for games, the other is not. The Games edition is updated more frequently, I believe. There's really not that much difference between them.

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
does anyone know if Spore works with this? i'm currently basically only playing that, so it would be great if it was supported...

and im still confused about the difference, why are there two versions, how are they different?

1. Spore is a hybrid. It works on Mac OS X. You don't need Crossover.
2. One is optimized for games, the other is not. The Games edition is updated more frequently, I believe. There's really not that much difference between them.

I think he's trying to get around the GMA950 video card issue (he's got a black mb but unsure what video card)

IMO I don't think running Spore in XOver in OS X is going to help this.

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2005
Does the unlocked one require a code to activate? If not, how does this prevent people from distributing the unlocked DMG?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.