Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
The script/app they are using to send the codes out was really really really poorly designed. It looks like it gets a code from a list, sends it, THEN marks it as being used. Problem is there is a very small (<1 sec) time frame when more than one instance of the script/app can be "grabbing" the same code. So two (or more) people who happen to submit the form at the same time get the same code. The first one to enter it in gets it.

My wife and I tested this and I was able to send myself the same code twice in a row. You have to get them out of your email box and into iTunes really fast so that no one else beats you to redeeming "your code".

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
mrgreen4242 said:
The script/app they are using to send the codes out was really really really poorly designed...The first one to enter it in gets it.

My wife and I tested this and I was able to send myself the same code twice in a row. You have to get them out of your email box and into iTunes really fast so that no one else beats you to redeeming "your code".

That's what I found. I was silly enough to think that they were generating unique codes for each visit. I found that the key is to use the codes quickly rather than accumulating them and redeeming them. I do one or two, then redeem them and it seems to work about 90% of the time, as opposed to about 60% of the time when I got all the codes, then redeemed them all.

Get a few - redeem a few.

jkelly888

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2005
pluto
ipacmm said:
I still haven't had any luck on getting any working code...
have another tab/window open with your e-mail open and then after you submit the form, imedittly check you e-mail and keep checking until it appears and also have itunes open with the redeem window open.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
I had my wife send the codes and I entered them into iTunes as soon as they came. Had at least 90% work that way.

ShadyMac

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2005
This suck's both the code I got have already been used.

Anyone want to trade codes for gmail invites?

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
jkelly888 said:
gmail is still invite only. though they give each adress 100 invites so it not really private

Nuh, Uh.

picture17xu.png

:p

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
jkelly888 said:
well you need a mobile phone to do that. so not everyone can sign up with out an invite. :p

That's not "invite only", it's public...or public enough not to trade/pay anything of value for one! Ok I'm done. :)

jkelly888

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2005
pluto
ITASOR said:
That's not "invite only", it's public...or public enough not to trade/pay anything of value for one! Ok I'm done. :)
i know. i give them to anyone who wants one. i was just defending my point

cowschickens13

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2006
memphis, tn
hey, one more thing

they never check to see that the answers are different, you can put in all the first answer or something, thats all that is required1

Sam*

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2006
UK
cowschickens13 said:
i want codes! really want codes!

You need to be quick earilre on today i could have about loads in my email box and they would all work.... but now i have to do 2 at a time

BrianSalts

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2006
You guys ALL dissapoint me. I'm canadian, but I can redeem them.

Listen: it's simple: simply sign up for an account with an american address (lets say, of congress), and other american things, and voila. Fill up your account and you can download to ur library, and yes, you can play them, even if you return to the Canadian store. Everything works like a charm.

Here's one to try it with (unless someone gets it before you): RYHW4XH9RW73

StarbucksSam

macrumors 65816
Nov 21, 2004
Washington, D.C.
BrianSalts said:
You guys ALL dissapoint me. I'm canadian, but I can redeem them.

Listen: it's simple: simply sign up for an account with an american address (lets say, of congress), and other american things, and voila. Fill up your account and you can download to ur library, and yes, you can play them, even if you return to the Canadian store. Everything works like a charm.

Here's one to try it with (unless someone gets it before you): RYHW4XH9RW73

Bah. Too late. Oh well, I have 202 more....

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Tried a bunch of times, not 1 code. Nice scam they got going. Even after you unsubscribe, I'll bet you still get stuff from other "affiliates". And it only cost them a couple of codes they can send to multiple people. If you look at the bottom, it even says the codes can expire. Too bad I didn't see this yesterday, I could have gotten some.

Ah well, all it cost me was some time. Free is free (except for all the spam I'm sure to get).

StarbucksSam

macrumors 65816
Nov 21, 2004
Washington, D.C.
solvs said:
Tried a bunch of times, not 1 code. Nice scam they got going. Even after you unsubscribe, I'll bet you still get stuff from other "affiliates". And it only cost them a couple of codes they can send to multiple people. If you look at the bottom, it even says the codes can expire. Too bad I didn't see this yesterday, I could have gotten some.

Ah well, all it cost me was some time. Free is free (except for all the spam I'm sure to get).

As is said earlier in here somewhere, they distribute the same ones to more than one person - by accident. That's why you might not be the first to use it if you don't get it FAST. I got over 200 working...

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
StarbucksSam said:
As is said earlier in here somewhere, they distribute the same ones to more than one person - by accident. That's why you might not be the first to use it if you don't get it FAST. I got over 200 working...
I don't think it's by accident. I'm sure people have working ones, but was it this hard yesterday? I didn't get 1. Not one. Out of like 10 that I tried. Put them into iTunes right away. Kind of a scummy way to do this since I've never had this problem with any other promo. Again, free, so I don't really care. But I think it's odd that people were getting a ton earlier and my success rate is now 0%.

Ok, I got a couple using the GMail trick. Sad that this works better than the real way. Had it worked the first time, I probably would have just gone with this first one and that would have been it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.