Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tony_glasgow

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2015
UK
Count me in as well - first time to full charge I had no no issue, but this morning it was dead and required a hard reset.

Only thing of interest that happened between charges was that I attached it to Xcode and side-loaded a few apps. Other than that didn't do anything different between charges...

anticipate

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2013
Count me in as well - first time to full charge I had no no issue, but this morning it was dead and required a hard reset.

Only thing of interest that happened between charges was that I attached it to Xcode and side-loaded a few apps. Other than that didn't do anything different between charges...

Same thing just happened to me. Once the iPad reached 100% charge it completely died and they did a hard reset. Very odd. Will report this to Apple.

EdisEdward

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
What are everyone's thoughts on it being just a software issue? I want to install a new tempered glass in mine but if I have to return it soon I will not install it

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
What are everyone's thoughts on it being just a software issue? I want to install a new tempered glass in mine but if I have to return it soon I will not install it

I suspect it's a software issue. Should be fixed in the next update . At least it only happens when you hit 100%?

When the issue happens, and you hard reset and keep the charger in, the iPad works fine ?

EdisEdward

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
I suspect it's a software issue. Should be fixed in the next update . At least it only happens when you hit 100%?

When the issue happens, and you hard reset and keep the charger in, the iPad works fine ?

Has only happened once for me; haven't used the iPad much yet to have to charge it everyday. But yea after hard reset it works fine

k1ckdapro

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2014
Luxembourg
Same problem, 128 gb wifi, after charging from 70 to 100%. I will try to install a public beta ios to see if this fixes it, some people told so.

xPad

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2013
Paying for iPad pro that cost 1k at least...yes you should have high expectation for the product.
No, you should have whatever expectations you want. I may have high expectations of the screen, and not be willing to put up with even the slightest imperfection, and someone else may find a slight edge bleed acceptable, etc.

In this case, it seems highly likely that this is a software issue, so expectations and price don't enter into it.

But if it's not software, then of course no one is going to accept a faulty iPad that locks up every time it is charged to full. We have almost two whole months to take it in for a full refund if this isn't resolved by then or turns out to be hardware, and can walk out with a completely new unit.

And after that, we have until at least next November to have it repaired or replaced for free.

So don't try to paint this as people being irrational or not standing up for their rights in protecting their money and purchases. It's not.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
No, you should have whatever expectations you want. I may have high expectations of the screen, and not be willing to put up with even the slightest imperfection, and someone else may find a slight edge bleed acceptable, etc.

In this case, it seems highly likely that this is a software issue, so expectations and price don't enter into it.

But if it's not software, then of course no one is going to accept a faulty iPad that locks up every time it is charged to full. We have almost two whole months to take it in for a full refund if this isn't resolved by then or turns out to be hardware, and can walk out with a completely new unit.

And after that, we have until at least next November to have it repaired or replaced for free.

So don't try to paint this as people being irrational or not standing up for their rights in protecting their money and purchases. It's not.
Do you even HAVE iPad pro?

Reactions: A.R.E.A.M.

Bigdog9586

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2015
That issue with locking up when the device when it is fully charged -- so that you find it with an unresponsive screen in the morning -- has been happening with all iOS 9 .1 devices? Hasn't been happening with my iPhone 6 Plus at all.
2 iPhones and 2 iPads without it doing it. Just my new pro.
2 phones and one iPad are 128

Last edited:

JonSarge3108

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2015
Read a report suggesting leaving the iPad on airplane mode during charging prevents the lock up?

Mystro

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2011
I am not having this issue with my Pro 128gb. Charged 3 times so far. I do keep my Pro on "do not disturb" at night while charging.

Bigdog9586

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2015
I am not having this issue with my Pro 128gb. Charged 3 times so far. I do keep my Pro on "do not disturb" at night while charging.
I do too, but hasn't helped. Did the reset/restore this afternoon. Now to run it down and charge tonight.

noslenam

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2010
At least twice I have left my iPad pro plugged in, once over night, and once during work. When I returned to my iPad it appeared frozen. Black screen, screen will not wake. I had to do a hard reset twice to get the thing to work again. After the hard reset the battery was 100%.

Has anyone else seen this?

I just encountered a blank screen upon returning to my iPad Proafter using it last night. It was about a 80-90% charge after using it. I went to turn it on today first by the home button with no response. I then tried the power button with no luck. I then tried a hard reset and nothing. Very frustrated!
I then after a few tries finally tried plugging it in and as soon as I did the screen gave me the start screen like I just turned it on. It's like it just needed a jump start. But once it finally started it was at 40% charge.
What happened to the rest of the charge it started with when it was shut off and more importantly looks like they are having issues.
Apple support said they haven't had any issues reported on the iPad Pro other than the lack of stock for pencils.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I just encountered a blank screen upon returning to my iPad Proafter using it last night. It was about a 80-90% charge after using it. I went to turn it on today first by the home button with no response. I then tried the power button with no luck. I then tried a hard reset and nothing. Very frustrated!
I then after a few tries finally tried plugging it in and as soon as I did the screen gave me the start screen like I just turned it on. It's like it just needed a jump start. But once it finally started it was at 40% charge.
What happened to the rest of the charge it started with when it was shut off and more importantly looks like they are having issues.
Apple support said they haven't had any issues reported on the iPad Pro other than the lack of stock for pencils.

I'd love apple support to one day say "yes we are aware of this issue"

Guess we will just wait for a patch.

EdisEdward

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
Can we go to Apple Store without an appointment to get a replacement? Do they have replacement stock?

joelypolly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2003
Bay Area
128gb cellular and locks up upon reaching 100%. Restore is from a previous iPad. Will try 9.2 and see if there is a difference

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
That it's happening to some but not all points to a possible app issue. Anyone willing to reset and not install any app nor restore from backup.

dyt1983

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2014
USA USA USA
That it's happening to some but not all points to a possible app issue. Anyone willing to reset and not install any app nor restore from backup.

Already did that after the second freeze since I knew they would ask at the Apple Store if I brought it in. So it did it again even as a new iPad, so I restored my old backup since it would have taken a long time to reinstall all my apps and redo all my configuration.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.