Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
In the first pic posted by db3st94, it clearly states:

IMG_0830.JPG

Lou

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
Okay so I opened up my mac pro, and I realized there's 2 of these 6 pin things. And I tried connecting it to the 960, and it fits. Am I missing something here? Do I still need those power cables?

Yes. Either of those cables will work. We didn't know your current video card had these.

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
Seeing that the first post gets regularly updated, I assumed that the content in the post would be current. Bad assumption on my part!

Thanks.

I've updated some of the language to make this clearer, particularly in the first question.

db3st94

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2015
I have another question. I installed Windows via bootcamp on my mac pro and realized I don't have a bootscreen. How do I switch back from Windows to OSX without a bootscreen?

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
I have another question. I installed Windows via bootcamp on my mac pro and realized I don't have a bootscreen. How do I switch back from Windows to OSX without a bootscreen?

C'mon dude, it's in the OP:

9) I use Boot Camp a lot. How do I switch OSes without a boot screen?

LookToWindward

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2015
Sorry is this has been covered somewhere, but before I spend any cash I'd like to be 100% certain. If my understanding is correct, this seems to be saying that I can use more or less (given the power requirements and exceptions listed in the original post) any NVIDIA graphics card on my Mac Pro 3.1, is this correct?

Thanks a lot
All the Bet
Dave

MacGamver

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2013
Sorry is this has been covered somewhere, but before I spend any cash I'd like to be 100% certain. If my understanding is correct, this seems to be saying that I can use more or less (given the power requirements and exceptions listed in the original post) any NVIDIA graphics card on my Mac Pro 3.1, is this correct?

Thanks a lot
All the Bet
Dave
Yes, with a guideline: Keep away from the super cheap ones; Anything in the x50 - x90 range is your target. e.g. GT610 = trash; GTX750 = good.

Sohaib Najam

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Hi Guys, quick question: Does anyone know of a program that you can use in OS X El-Capitan to monitor the GPU temperature? I tried running heaven and the GPU itself worked flawlessly, however, heaven was stuck between 32-33 degrees celsius which was obviously a lie.

Note: Mac Pro 3,1 - EVGA Gtx 960 2gb SC Model

Fl0r!an

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2007
MacPros are unable to read the sensor on a graphics card, so no, there's no easy way.
You could install FakeSMC with plugins which would essentially mean turning your MacPro in a hackintosh. This would give you access to the temperature readings.

mwhybark

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2014
Quick stub of a post for now, will update later when physically at machine.

Mac Pro 4,1 w/GT970. Yosemite installed, Nvidia drivers installed. Primarily have been running machine in Win7.

Have some work coming up that led me to try using Migration Assistant to complete cloning prior 10.9 setup data over to the 10.10 boot drive. Had to interrupt MA, a normal and expected part of using MA.

Next time I reseated the stock 120 and selected the 10.10 boot drive, the Apple startup shows and the boot screen drops into the black screen with blinking bar cursor.

As I recall from this thread this likely means that MA has overwritten or disabled the Nvidia drivers, is that correct? What, if any, is the command line info I need to enter?

My next step otherwise will be to pull the 970 and try to boot to either 10.9 or 10.10 to complete MA and reinstall the web drivers.

rxse7en

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Looks like Nvidia updated the web drivers today (10/6/15). I originally installed a PNY GTX 970 along with an original GT 120 (for boot screen El Cap and Win10) and found that I can't really run both cards at the same time with my three monitors. Lots of kernel panics and restarts so now I'm just running the GTX 970 (capable of driving all three 27" 1080p monitors). Anyone else experiencing the same issues? Any success stories? [cMP 4.1, El Cap, GTX 970, GT 120]

SpawnSp

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2015
Looks like Nvidia updated the web drivers today (10/6/15). I originally installed a PNY GTX 970 along with an original GT 120 (for boot screen El Cap and Win10) and found that I can't really run both cards at the same time with my three monitors. Lots of kernel panics and restarts so now I'm just running the GTX 970 (capable of driving all three 27" 1080p monitors). Anyone else experiencing the same issues? Any success stories? [cMP 4.1, El Cap, GTX 970, GT 120]

Looks like El Cap has serious issues when two video cards are connected and you have monitors attached to them. Both PC and Mac cards are having problems. Here's a long discussion about the problem: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7252069

---

I have a question! I've recently purchased a GTX 970 for my Mac Pro (not installed yet, waiting for a PCIE power cable from eBay), and I wanted to keep the GT 120 connected and attached to a monitor via VGA for boot screen and OS selection.
Will Windows 10 have conflicting drivers between both cards? I have tried hard to prevent Windows updating the GT 120 drivers, to be able to install latest drivers for GTX 970, but I've not succeeded.
What will happen on Windows 10 when both cards are connected? I know that on OSX there are no problems (at least not on Yosemite), but I think that Windows drivers will conflict.

Reactions: rxse7en
Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Looks like El Cap has serious issues when two video cards are connected and you have monitors attached to them. Both PC and Mac cards are having problems. Here's a long discussion about the problem: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7252069

---

I have a question! I've recently purchased a GTX 970 for my Mac Pro (not installed yet, waiting for a PCIE power cable from eBay), and I wanted to keep the GT 120 connected and attached to a monitor via VGA for boot screen and OS selection.
Will Windows 10 have conflicting drivers between both cards? I have tried hard to prevent Windows updating the GT 120 drivers, to be able to install latest drivers for GTX 970, but I've not succeeded.
What will happen on Windows 10 when both cards are connected? I know that on OSX there are no problems (at least not on Yosemite), but I think that Windows drivers will conflict.

Nvidia has removed support for the GT120/9400 from their drivers in the summer of 2014. If you install the two cards above Windows will always attempt to install old drivers for the GT120 that disable the GTX 970.

SpawnSp

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2015
Nvidia has removed support for the GT120/9400 from their drivers in the summer of 2014. If you install the two cards above Windows will always attempt to install old drivers for the GT120 that disable the GTX 970.

I figured something like that, but given that I don't need the GT 120 for anything but boot screens and updating OSX drivers when needed, can't I just tell Windows to just ignore it?

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
I figured something like that, but given that I don't need the GT 120 for anything but boot screens and updating OSX drivers when needed, can't I just tell Windows to just ignore it?

In earlier versions of Windows you could.

There is one solution, but I haven't seen anyone try it yet.

After Windows installs the driver for the GT120 (it will actually install as a 9400), delete the driver in Device Manager and uninstall Nvidia apps that may have been installed.

There is an admin utility that Microsoft has for download that allows you to disable an update but only after that update has been installed and uninstalled. It prevents further attempts to install it again. Find more info on the following two links:

http://www.howtogeek.com/223864/how-to-uninstall-and-block-updates-and-drivers-on-windows-10/

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930?utm_source=twitter

If it works, you will then have the GT120 installed using software acceleration only. Now you will be able to install the GTX 970 and newer Nvidia drivers for use as your primary card.

SpawnSp

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2015
In earlier versions of Windows you could.

There is one solution, but I haven't seen anyone try it yet.

I've tried this method already, now that I'm still safe because the other card is a Radeon HD5770, but Windows keeps installing the GT120 driver (in my case it says that it's a 9500 GT). I think Windows 10 is a bit "too Smart"...

CheekyChorley

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2015
Hi,

Have read the first post, installed the most recent drivers and placed the graphics card in the pie slot and two power cables from the board to the card (and checked for a tight connection.

BUT

i'm getting a blank screen on startup and my comp doesn't seem to recognize the card, a "Zotac Geforce gtx 760 nvidia"card

below are some relevant screenshots that i hope help someone help me?!

Screen Shot 2015-10-07 at 2.07.20 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-10-07 at 2.07.29 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-10-07 at 2.07.39 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-10-07 at 2.07.47 PM.png

thanks in advance!!!

T

blueshogun96

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2012
I don't know if this has been asked already, but I cannot seem to get sound out of my GeForce GTX 760 when running under OSX. My monitor is a cinema display, and the audio works just fine when plugged into my Macbook. Only when my MacPro is hooked up do I not hear any sound from it. Also, I do not have this problem in Windows mode, only MacOSX. Is audio support not concluded in the NV driver or is audio not supported for non-EFI compatible GPUs? Thanks.

Shogun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.