Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adcx64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Philadelphia
When I was formatting the drive on my new 2014 MBA, I selected "Apple SSD 128" and selected ERASE from there instead of erasing from Macintosh HD. Is there any downside to this, instead of just erasing the existing Macintosh HD partition, I erased from the whole drive?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
When I was formatting the drive on my new 2014 MBA, I selected "Apple SSD 128" and selected ERASE from there instead of erasing from Macintosh HD. Is there any downside to this, instead of just erasing the existing Macintosh HD partition, I erased from the whole drive?
The only difference is: erasing Macintosh HD will only remove data on that portion, while erasing whole disk will removeeverything on disk. Sometimes, what you do could lead to a cleaner OS X installation. :)

adcx64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Philadelphia
The only difference is: erasing Macintosh HD will only remove data on that portion, while erasing whole disk will removeeverything on disk. Sometimes, what you do could lead to a cleaner OS X installation. :)

Thank you. So what i did lead to a cleaner install?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.