Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arkoh

macrumors member
May 24, 2009
Copenhagen
I must admit... I have had alot of respect for Skype's filosophy of openess and fighting for the end user during the years, but that is ALL gone now!!!

Ever since Skype was purchased by Ebay... things have gone from good to absolutely worse than crap! Its quite obvious that what started out as a small software pioneering buisness has now turned into a giant moneymaking machine! Yeah... I know Skype to Skype is still free... but cmon... thats really whats keeping people on Skype isn't it? And somehow making people pay for their other services!!

Their software update on the iPhone, or rather the lack of it!!, makes to much sense as well... they are loosing grip of the end-user and therby loosing grip of their potential payed service! 3G calling and especially multitasking will seriously hurt their payed subscription service! Why would people pay for a subscription to call a cellphone, when the Skype to Skype service could be running open all day "on the go" and allowing the free call to be made instead of the payed one!??

I'll believe the update to multitasking when I see it!

jonw8uk

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2010
I must admit... I have had alot of respect for Skype's filosophy of openess and fighting for the end user during the years, but that is ALL gone now!!!

Ever since Skype was purchased by Ebay... things have gone from good to absolutely worse than crap! Its quite obvious that what started out as a small software pioneering buisness has now turned into a giant moneymaking machine! Yeah... I know Skype to Skype is still free... but cmon... thats really whats keeping people on Skype isn't it? And somehow making people pay for their other services!!

Their software update on the iPhone, or rather the lack of it!!, makes to much sense as well... they are loosing grip of the end-user and therby loosing grip of their potential payed service! 3G calling and especially multitasking will seriously hurt their payed subscription service! Why would people pay for a subscription to call a cellphone, when the Skype to Skype service could be running open all day "on the go" and allowing the free call to be made instead of the payed one!??

I'll believe the update to multitasking when I see it!

I agree, Skype have lost the plot.

I have read somewhere, that they are going to charge for making calls over 3G.... How can that be possible??! How can skype charge for using data on a phone operators network, which we already pay for?

Another thing, I did have a great deal with Skype; I live in Bangkok, but work all over world. I paid £3.99 a month for unlimited (10000 mins) calls to Thailand, including mobiles. This was fantastic for keeping in touch with the missus and friends, and so cheap that even for months when I'm home, It's not worth cancelling. I used paypal to pay it, and I got a warning that the card was going to expire, so I updated my new card details and then went to skype to update the payment method. To my surprise there was no option to change it. This is because they are now offering a new 'deal'

£7.99/month for 120 min..

Brilliant! where can I sign up? twice the price for 1.2% of the minutes....

Well done Skype... :rolleyes:

christene20

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2010
i think skype is a better option to be used on desktop pc's but as i hv used fring on my mobile, i found it v gud 2 use for vedio calls:)

2contagious

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2008
UK
I disagree. I have a 'Europe Unlimited' skype subscription and I use it to do Skype Out calls from UK to France. Saves me lots of money on my O2 mobile phone bill. Also, I like having the virtual UK landline with my skype account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.