Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thefanmyj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2016
Hi, everyone. I have a Samsung S5 on Verizon with Unlimited Data. I use FoxFi for tethering. I'm thinking of switching to an iPhone (paying retail for an SE so I can keep UDP). Does anyone know if I can use the hotspot on the iPhone to continue tethering for free? Or will I suddenly have to start paying to do this on an iPhone? Thanks!

thefanmyj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2016
Good question. I know that tethering is done on the iPhone with no issue as long as Verizon allows it on the package you have.

Yes, that's what I've heard from some people. Others say that I have to pay $20. Others say it's not possible. I'm hesitant to call VZW because I don't want someone to "accidentally" change my plan.

lparsons21

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2014
Southern Illinois
The question is, is tethering part of the unlimited data package you have from Verizon? Or, does that software you now use allow for it without Verizon support? If the first question's answer is yes, then the iPhone will work fine and no charges. If not, well then you'll have an issue to figure out.

And I don't know if there is some 'tricky' software for the iPhone that will accomplish what you are doing now without Verizon being aware of it.
[doublepost=1459613708][/doublepost]Aha!! Here's a link to some possibilities:
http://alternativeto.net/software/foxfi/?platform=iphone

Reactions: thefanmyj

thefanmyj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2016
The question is, is tethering part of the unlimited data package you have from Verizon? Or, does that software you now use allow for it without Verizon support? If the first question's answer is yes, then the iPhone will work fine and no charges. If not, well then you'll have an issue to figure out.

And I don't know if there is some 'tricky' software for the iPhone that will accomplish what you are doing now without Verizon being aware of it.
[doublepost=1459613708][/doublepost]Aha!! Here's a link to some possibilities:
http://alternativeto.net/software/foxfi/?platform=iphone
Right now, I'm using FoxFi - mostly because I've used it for years. I avoid using VZW stuff at all costs.

lparsons21

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2014
Southern Illinois
From more reading, you'll probably need to jailbreak. I have no experience doing that so I don't know how hard that is to do or even if you can do it with the latest iPhones.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Hi, everyone. I have a Samsung S5 on Verizon with Unlimited Data. I use FoxFi for tethering. I'm thinking of switching to an iPhone (paying retail for an SE so I can keep UDP). Does anyone know if I can use the hotspot on the iPhone to continue tethering for free? Or will I suddenly have to start paying to do this on an iPhone? Thanks!
I believe it's $30 per month to add the hotspot feature for those with unlimited data. If you jailbreak then you would likely be able to tether as you currently are. But keep in mind they likely have software that will see that you're using the phone as a hotspot device without paying for it.

onepoint

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
USA
Verizon UDP user here. You need to jailbreak in order to enable tethering. VZW will not allow you to add tethering to a grandfathered UDP.

got556

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2013
Indiana
Verizon UDP user here. You need to jailbreak in order to enable tethering. VZW will not allow you to add tethering to a grandfathered UDP.
You can add the hotspot to a UDP through Verizon. You log into your account and go to features for your account and you can add it for $30 a month or basically $1/day. When my fiancé still had her 6S we would add and remove the hotspot as needed. I plan to do this with my SE until a new jailbreak comes out, which hopefully isn't long. Shame someone doesn't develop an app like FoxFi for iOS. Works wonderfully on my Note 5 and fiancé's S7.
[doublepost=1459622609][/doublepost]
I believe it's $30 per month to add the hotspot feature for those with unlimited data. If you jailbreak then you would likely be able to tether as you currently are. But keep in mind they likely have software that will see that you're using the phone as a hotspot device without paying for it.

I've been tethering for years, literally, on multiple phones all the way back to some of the first VZW Moto Droid phones where you go into root files and change the "ENTITLEMENT CHECK = 1" to "0" and have used over 100GB's numerous months without any issues. UDP on VZW users are a dying breed and I will hold on to mind until they kick me off. Then I will leave Verizon as the UDP is the only reason I stay.

Reactions: baypharm

onepoint

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
USA
You can add the hotspot to a UDP through Verizon. You log into your account and go to features for your account and you can add it for $30 a month or basically $1/day. When my fiancé still had her 6S we would add and remove the hotspot as needed. I plan to do this with my SE until a new jailbreak comes out, which hopefully isn't long. Shame someone doesn't develop an app like FoxFi for iOS. Works wonderfully on my Note 5 and fiancé's S7.
[doublepost=1459622609][/doublepost]

I've been tethering for years, literally, on multiple phones all the way back to some of the first VZW Moto Droid phones where you go into root files and change the "ENTITLEMENT CHECK = 1" to "0" and have used over 100GB's numerous months without any issues. UDP on VZW users are a dying breed and I will hold on to mind until they kick me off. Then I will leave Verizon as the UDP is the only reason I stay.

I'm not sure what differences exist between our plans but I assure you that I am not able to add hotspot to my UDP with VZW. Whether I call or try online, hotspot is not able to be added to my UDP line.

got556

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2013
Indiana
I'm not sure what differences exist between our plans but I assure you that I am not able to add hotspot to my UDP with VZW. Whether I call or try online, hotspot is not able to be added to my UDP line.

That's weird. If you log in to your account and on the section (home area) where it shows all of your devices/lines and you should see a button on the right of the screen for "manage my products and apps". Click on that and it brings you to the following screen.

26227441586_53ae6e4aa9_h.jpg

Scroll down a bit and I have this.....

25650688643_98991160d0_h.jpg

onepoint

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
USA
That's weird. If you log in to your account and on the section (home area) where it shows all of your devices/lines and you should see a button on the right of the screen for "manage my products and apps".

I'll be darned -- I am seeing that as well. This is welcome news to me. Thank you!

Reactions: got556

got556

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2013
Indiana
I'll be darned -- I am seeing that as well. This is welcome news to me. Thank you!

Glad I could help...I just reactivated my hot spot as my SE just got here. Makes not being jailbroken, almost bearable, minus shelling out the $26-30 for the hotspot.

onepoint

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
USA
Glad I could help...I just reactivated my hot spot as my SE just got here. Makes not being jailbroken, almost bearable, minus shelling out the $26-30 for the hotspot.
Absolutely. I've been checking on JB status repeatedly under my old understanding that it was the only way I could acquire hotspot capability. Do you know if VZW prorates the monthly charge if you activate/deactivate within the same month?

got556

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2013
Indiana
Absolutely. I've been checking on JB status repeatedly under my old understanding that it was the only way I could acquire hotspot capability. Do you know if VZW prorates the monthly charge if you activate/deactivate within the same month?

Yes they pro rate. So basically a dollar a day. If you use it for a day then pull it off, you'll only be charged for that day. :)

With the ridiculousness of plans and pricing these days, it's one of the few things that doesn't get me up in arms about it.

Reactions: onepoint

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
When my iPhone 5s was my main phone, I paid $30/month for hotspot on my Verizon UDP. Then I switched to the Moto X Pure Edition which didn't check my subscription with Verizon, so I stopped paying for it when they raised the price of unlimited by $20.

I was debating whether to upgrade to the iPhone SE or Galaxy S7 Edge. I chose the Edge, since the iPhone SE would have cost me $40/month ($10 to Apple for the phone and $30 to Verizon for hotspot) plus my iPhone 5s. The S7 Edge costs me $33/month and I get to keep my iPhone 5s. I just use FoxFi to tether now, which still uses the built-in hotspot feature. It just bypasses the Verizon check.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.