Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
With the iPhone as it comes, I can easily wake the phone up without unlocking it, and get an actual preview of a message, email, sports center update, usa today news alert, etc. Im sure they probably have different apps you can install on android to get actually messages on the lock screen

You can do that on Android too. Just as simple as installing an app. I use
Popup Notifier. Love it.

vZGPHhwRFLM8-Q-qe24lgtYrX71CR9XELGMgsGBl7S20Twm1Ip8cacjH0oz3GUxwg6t7=h900

With GS4, it has 'Driving mode' (now called 'Hand-Free mode' with 4.3 update) that reads a message when it comes, wave your hand over the phone's screen to accept a call.

Same on the Note 3. Works great. What's really nice though is most of today's newer cars integrate very well with both OS's. My ford and wife's Honda both have hands free use of my phone to do many things.

Last edited:

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
Well two people have disputed what you wrote so far…….nuff said….

Disputed what? Show me how an android phone will give me pop up lock screen notifications on a PIN locked phone. Please tell me step by step what app to use.

There is not one that I am aware of and no one has disputed that yet. That is the need I have and the point I made.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Disputed what? Show me how an android phone will give me pop up lock screen notifications on a PIN locked phone. Please tell me step by step what app to use.

There is not one that I am aware of and no one has disputed that yet. That is the need I have and the point I made.

Just look above you. Popup notifier works great. And yes it works when your phone is in lockscreen mode and the screen is off. It has options on how you want it to work. Paid version has more options.

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
Vegastouch - what are some of the bluetooth options I would have? My car has built in bluetooth, which works fine, however, it is an older model (2008) and I cannot seem to initiate a phone call from the car itself. This is why the Siri longpress of the home button was more convenient and safer.

Once a call is initiated, the bluetooth kicks right in. Is there a device to trigger the bluetooth? You mentioned something about putting something on a visor.

Appreciate the help.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Wow.

LockerPro Lockscreen is amazing. What a cool app. It's like iOS notifications on the lockscreen but with a cooler design.

Oh, and enjoy your iPhone's hardware home button while it lasts. In a year it's gonna be so bad... I don't have that problem thanks to the on screen buttons of my Nexus 5.

IPhones........ seriously? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I think what he is trying to get across is that on a stock Nexus 5, the only notifications that you get if your screen is locked is through the LED. So on the Nexus as it comes from Google, if you walk away from your device, and the screen is off, you'll be able to tell THAT you have an email, or message, or tweet or Facebook update, but thats about it.

With the iPhone as it comes, I can easily wake the phone up without unlocking it, and get an actual preview of a message, email, sports center update, usa today news alert, etc.

Im sure they probably have different apps you can install on android to get actually messages on the lock screen (I actually remember at one point that was a big deal for people with android vs iOS not really having that sort of capability, its just not there from the start....UNLESS there was an option somewhere in the system that was missed?
I agree with you Holly…I have a IP5s….But his statement was about all Android. I tried to point out to him that on my Galaxy S4 the LED notification would very well. There are apps that will wake you phone and allow interaction in Android. As others has shown him what he said didn't work actually works really well on Android. I have used them on different devices and different roms. Sorry to highjack your thread :-(

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Vegastouch - what are some of the bluetooth options I would have? My car has built in bluetooth, which works fine, however, it is an older model (2008) and I cannot seem to initiate a phone call from the car itself. This is why the Siri longpress of the home button was more convenient and safer.

Once a call is initiated, the bluetooth kicks right in. Is there a device to trigger the bluetooth? You mentioned something about putting something on a visor.

Appreciate the help.

Depends on what you would like. I dont like the earpieces. The visor clip devices work real well. Like i said the Motorola roadster is good and BlueAnt S4 (i think thats the latest ) works good and more like Siri.
The roadster, i just push the call button, and it asks who i want to call, i tell it the name and it dials. It tells you when you get a text and asks if you want to hear it. If you do, then afterwards it asks if you want to reply and you can say what you want and then it reads it back and asks if you want to send it, and it does. I chose that one because i didnt feel i needed the other things that the BlueAnt does but you might like it.

You can see video of each demonstrated on Youtube. Of course there are other brands too. Those two were the ones at the time i was interested in. Ive had it for over a year. I use it in my truck that doesnt have built in bluetooth. Its a 2007.

My Car is a 2013 and the bluetooth works better with my Nexus 5 than with my GS3 but trying to send text with it is awful. It will only send premade quick texts and i havent been able to send a custom text yet but i dont try too hard either because it is frustrating. It will recieve texts and it reads them out just fine , it is replying to them that sucks.

The visor devices work way better. Hope that helps.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
This is what I don't understand... I use a lock screen so people can't see my private communication so why on earth would I want these displayed for all to see on my lock screen? :confused:

They stay up and viewable only for a predetermined amount of time that you can set. Otherwise, once they are closed, the screen goes black and you're information is private. All in all, if you want it 100% private, then don't leave your phone exposed and unattended :D

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
This is what I don't understand... I use a lock screen so people can't see my private communication so why on earth would I want these displayed for all to see on my lock screen? :confused:

You can turn them off if that is the choice you make. I use a lock screen because I'm forced to by our Exchange server.

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
On a thread like this, you are bound to have people criticize your buying choice. Don't listen to them.

You tried out something new, didn't like it and went back to something you liked better. No problem. I have a Nexus 5 myself that I paid for by selling my 5s. Everybody has their preferences. And I can totally attest to hit or miss battery life. Out of the box battery life for me on my Nexus 5 was not good. Took a couple days of troubleshooting to figure out the problems and correct them. Not something I should have to do to a phone. Installing a custom kernel is one of them.

Enjoy your 5s!

Edit: and yes, it's dumb that the stock android email app doesn't support push for IMAP. You'd think Google, sort of the King of email, could at least support such a widely support basic email function!

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
On a thread like this, you are bound to have people criticize your buying choice. Don't listen to them.

You tried out something new, didn't like it and went back to something you liked better. No problem. I have a Nexus 5 myself that I paid for by selling my 5s. Everybody has their preferences. And I can totally attest to hit or miss battery life. Out of the box battery life for me on my Nexus 5 was not good. Took a couple days of troubleshooting to figure out the problems and correct them. Not something I should have to do to a phone. Installing a custom kernel is one of them.

Enjoy your 5s!

Edit: and yes, it's dumb that the stock android email app doesn't support push for IMAP. You'd think Google, sort of the King of email, could at least support such a widely support basic email function!

Im not going to install a different kernal...most likely but you never know, ;)

What else did you do? Didnt you turn off your Google Now as well? I dont do that but i have my location on battery save mode till i need the GPS and i like a little haptic feedback(vibrate) when i hit the buttons.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
LG G2 seems better.

Priced higher unsubsidized but you don't get nagging issues like battery life and weak camera. And the Knock-On feature to wakeup the screen is really cool. Nomore wearing out the power button.

For a couple hundred dollars less with the Nexus 5, you expect compromises vs a $700-$800 like an iPhone 5s. This was the same case with the $300-$349 Nexus 4 vs LG Optimus G or any of the other Android flagships from 2012.

You are paying a bargain for a Nexus phone but you can't expect every facet of it to be great.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Is it really that hard to turn on your phone and pull down the notification panel in the lockscreen to check your notifications?

You have the icons first to show missed calls, new emails, messages, etc. All you have to do is pull down the notification panel.

Seems to me someone how goes back to iOS just because pulling down the notification panel in the lockscreen is too much hassle is too vague...

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Wow.

LockerPro Lockscreen is amazing. What a cool app. It's like iOS notifications on the lockscreen but with a cooler design.

Oh, and enjoy your iPhone's hardware home button while it lasts. In a year it's gonna be so bad... I don't have that problem thanks to the on screen buttons of my Nexus 5.

IPhones........ seriously? :rolleyes::rolleyes:
I've had my iPhone 5 for over a year. The button is just as good as when I got it.

Misskitty

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
Im a little digusted with how complex basic things are on the nexis 5, like copying and pasting text from an email. You have to hit reply then copy and paste it with the phone only on landscape. Uhhhh. What! Why? If your phone is in portrait, it doesnt give you the option to copy/cut. So lame! Copying and pasting is so quick and easy on ios devices, the nexus 5 makes things so much more work.

Also, for the love of god, i still cant get basic images to send via sms. Not only does it take forever (like 10mins, really?!), but it never goes through! Why cant my phone send pics?! So fristrating

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Im a little digusted with how complex basic things are on the nexis 5, like copying and pasting text from an email. You have to hit reply then copy and paste it with the phone only on landscape. Uhhhh. What! Why? If your phone is in portrait, it doesnt give you the option to copy/cut. So lame! Copying and pasting is so quick and easy on ios devices, the nexus 5 makes things so much more work.

Also, for the love of god, i still cant get basic images to send via sms. Not only does it take forever (like 10mins, really?!), but it never goes through! Why cant my phone send pics?! So fristrating

Seriously, learn how to use Android before complaining about stuff that's not real...

Everyone can copy and paste in portrait...

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California

If you don't know anything about the phone, don't spread lies. You can cut and paste from an email without having to hit reply.

Images send fine on the Nexus. It's frustrating because you can't spell basic words let alone send a text message. The Nexus and even maybe the iPhone might be too advanced for you. Try Leap Frog or Fisher Price.

Last edited by a moderator:

hashholly

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008

Maybe you have a dud?

Copy and Paste was a bit of a pain for me, compared to IOS, but you can do it in portrait mode. I've copied and pasted from an email viewed (not replied), just once you select the text, you have to look at the very top of the screen and they have the icons for copy.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Maybe you have a dud?

Copy and Paste was a bit of a pain for me, compared to IOS, but you can do it in portrait mode. I've copied and pasted from an email viewed (not replied), just once you select the text, you have to look at the very top of the screen and they have the icons for copy.

You mean I have to move my eyes an inch? You're right, this is such a pain :(

hashholly

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
You mean I have to move my eyes an inch? You're right, this is such a pain :(

No need for sarcasm, if your coming from a different OS, sometimes you just don't know what to look for. I was expecting something that clear stated "Copy" right above what i copied, and got to the point where i was going to google how to do it because I wasn't seeing the option anywhere. It happens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.