Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lochaber

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2013
My name is John ..I am old +++
I have always heard that Mac was superior to Windows. and I have a Windows 8 machine This is at last a very good OS and I am using it to access this forum
My daughter just gifted me her old ? Power Imac G5. I like what I see in it.
Apple was always reputedly away ahead of Microsoft by Apple users.
I am curious This Power Mac has OSX 10.4.11 (85165)and the date is 2007.
It says that it can be upgraded to something called MountainLion if it is late 2007 how can I tell what "late" means.
and what are the advantages of such an upgrade
Thanks, John

Nov 28, 2010
located
If it is a G5 PowerMac (it only has one opening for an optical disk drive (ODD) at the front), the latest Mac OS X version will be Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard.
If it is a Mac Pro (two ODD openings on the front), then you can use this method to find out your model and check here for further specs and maximum OS versions:
To find out, what exact Mac model you use, click :apple: > About This Mac > More Info > Hardware Overview:
IDyourMacModel.png
To see a more elaborate image explaining the above steps, click here.
To see a more detailed video tutorial showing the above steps, click here (2 MB, 23s, .mp4).​

To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

lochaber

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2013
Windows Mac

Thank you for your replies,
I really am a newby Oldie What is this Leopard that you say is in there? ?
It said it was MacOSX Version 10.4.1 I thought that was the name of the Operating System.

The More Info gave me this
iMacG5
Model Power Mac 8.3
CPU type Power PC G5 3.0
Number of CPU's 1
CPU Speed 1.8GHz
L2 Cache 512KB
Memory 1.5GB
Bus Speed 600 MHz
Boot ROM Version 5.2.5f1
Ser# QP5351G4SDX

I read on a site that this can be upgraded to Mountain Lion if the dates were right?? I have no idea what this means either?? :O) I would like to know what the advantages were of having this upgrade, if any. I am only looking at this Mac with interest to see if they still outstrip the Windows machines Thank you for your attention ( a good site with quick responses)
John

readymade524

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2012
Apple uses code names for their operating systems:

10.5 - Leopard
10.6 - Snow Leopard
10.7 - Lion
10.8 - Mountain Lion

Your iMac has the wrong internal components to run the newer operating systems - it's too old, but you could upgrade to 10.5 "Leopard" if you can find it. I don't think Apple has it anymore.

76ShovelHead

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2010
Florida
Thank you for your replies,
I really am a newby Oldie What is this Leopard that you say is in there? ?
It said it was MacOSX Version 10.4.1 I thought that was the name of the Operating System.

The More Info gave me this
iMacG5
Model Power Mac 8.3
CPU type Power PC G5 3.0
Number of CPU's 1
CPU Speed 1.8GHz
L2 Cache 512KB
Memory 1.5GB
Bus Speed 600 MHz
Boot ROM Version 5.2.5f1
Ser# QP5351G4SDX

I read on a site that this can be upgraded to Mountain Lion if the dates were right?? I have no idea what this means either?? :O) I would like to know what the advantages were of having this upgrade, if any. I am only looking at this Mac with interest to see if they still outstrip the Windows machines Thank you for your attention ( a good site with quick responses)
John

What you have there is an old PowerPC iMac G5. Apple switched from PowerPC to Intel in 2006, and the Latest operating system a PowerPC G5 can run is Leopard (10.5). In order to upgrade to Mountain Lion, you'll have to purchase a new or used Mac from the last 3 years or so. Seeing how you're new to Mac OS, you might just want to upgrade to Leopard and play around with it, Leopard is still a great OS (I still use it).

lochaber

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2013
Thank you all for the information. I find that the Mac is quite different and by reading further I see that perhaps Windows 8 was just "catch up after all?
John

Is it possible to download Apps to this machine? as I say I am sort of just fumbling around at this point

lochaber

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2013
Windows to Mac

Now I just downloaded Leopard (I think) and I don't know where to find the Download or whether I have to do more?
Thanks, John

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.