From Windows to Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lochaber, Jan 31, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

My name is John ..I am old +++
    I have always heard that Mac was superior to Windows. and I have a Windows 8 machine This is at last a very good OS and I am using it to access this forum
    My daughter just gifted me her old ? Power Imac G5. I like what I see in it.
    Apple was always reputedly away ahead of Microsoft by Apple users.
    I am curious This Power Mac has OSX 10.4.11 (85165)and the date is 2007.
    It says that it can be upgraded to something called MountainLion if it is late 2007 how can I tell what "late" means.
    and what are the advantages of such an upgrade
    Thanks, John

2. simsaladimbamba

If it is a G5 PowerMac (it only has one opening for an optical disk drive (ODD) at the front), the latest Mac OS X version will be Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard.
    If it is a Mac Pro (two ODD openings on the front), then you can use this method to find out your model and check here for further specs and maximum OS versions:
    To find out, what exact Mac model you use, click :apple: > About This Mac > More Info > Hardware Overview:
    [​IMG]
    To see a more elaborate image explaining the above steps, click here.
    To see a more detailed video tutorial showing the above steps, click here (2 MB, 23s, .mp4).​

To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

3. macrumors member

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Windows Mac

Thank you for your replies,
    I really am a newby Oldie What is this Leopard that you say is in there? ?
    It said it was MacOSX Version 10.4.1 I thought that was the name of the Operating System.

The More Info gave me this
    iMacG5
    Model Power Mac 8.3
    CPU type Power PC G5 3.0
    Number of CPU's 1
    CPU Speed 1.8GHz
    L2 Cache 512KB
    Memory 1.5GB
    Bus Speed 600 MHz
    Boot ROM Version 5.2.5f1
    Ser# QP5351G4SDX

I read on a site that this can be upgraded to Mountain Lion if the dates were right?? I have no idea what this means either?? :O) I would like to know what the advantages were of having this upgrade, if any. I am only looking at this Mac with interest to see if they still outstrip the Windows machines Thank you for your attention ( a good site with quick responses)
    John

5. macrumors newbie

Apple uses code names for their operating systems:

10.5 - Leopard
    10.6 - Snow Leopard
    10.7 - Lion
    10.8 - Mountain Lion

Your iMac has the wrong internal components to run the newer operating systems - it's too old, but you could upgrade to 10.5 "Leopard" if you can find it. I don't think Apple has it anymore.

6. macrumors 6502

76ShovelHead

What you have there is an old PowerPC iMac G5. Apple switched from PowerPC to Intel in 2006, and the Latest operating system a PowerPC G5 can run is Leopard (10.5). In order to upgrade to Mountain Lion, you'll have to purchase a new or used Mac from the last 3 years or so. Seeing how you're new to Mac OS, you might just want to upgrade to Leopard and play around with it, Leopard is still a great OS (I still use it).

7. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all for the information. I find that the Mac is quite different and by reading further I see that perhaps Windows 8 was just "catch up after all?
    John

Is it possible to download Apps to this machine? as I say I am sort of just fumbling around at this point

8. thread starter macrumors newbie

Windows to Mac

Now I just downloaded Leopard (I think) and I don't know where to find the Download or whether I have to do more?
    Thanks, John