Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kalisphoenix

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
Kimi said:
Is there any way to make Front Row play videos from my USB hard disc? (Also I've got a firewire one in the post, so I don't know if it reads them).

Aliases.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
If you want to be able to run from any disk, create an alias of the Volumes directory in your Movies folder. Why is this useful? Well, if you burn videos to CDs and DVDs (i.e. leaving them in mpg format, not playable DVD format - more movies fit on a disk that way ;) ), then you don't have to deal with aliases to every single disk just to be able to play it in Front Row.

How do you find the Volumes directory? Simple. In the root director of your OS X startup disk, use the "Go to Folder..." command under the "Go" menu. Type in "Volumes", and POOF, you're there. Now, in column view, you can see the normally invisible Volumes directory. Make an alias of it, and you're all set!

Kimi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Snowy_River said:
If you want to be able to run from any disk, create an alias of the Volumes directory in your Movies folder. Why is this useful? Well, if you burn videos to CDs and DVDs (i.e. leaving them in mpg format, not playable DVD format - more movies fit on a disk that way ;) ), then you don't have to deal with aliases to every single disk just to be able to play it in Front Row.

How do you find the Volumes directory? Simple. In the root director of your OS X startup disk, use the "Go to Folder..." command under the "Go" menu. Type in "Volumes", and POOF, you're there. Now, in column view, you can see the normally invisible Volumes directory. Make an alias of it, and you're all set!
Nice, wouldn't have though of that. I'll go and do it now. Thanks :)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Star Destroyer said:
i have had the same problem... I am new to macs, soooo How exactly do i make this work?

Aliases are to macs as Shortcuts are to windows

Control or Right Click on an object and choose make alias to create a shortcut.

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
I use an alias with my USB HD (all my videos are on there) and it works really nicely. Shame frontrow is so dog slow though.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Sweet, I'll do the /Volumes alias when my Macbook gets back from Applecare! Been my number one complaint with Frontrow!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.