Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ginner

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Yorkshire, England
Hi

I got my new intel iMac two days ago and have since been using it to watch a lot of DivX encoded TV shows I've imported from my external hard drive. The majority it plays perfectly (great for lazily viewing in bed!) but when I try and navigate to certain folders instead of listing the files inside it will just exit to the desktop. So certain seasons of a TV show will play perfectly but the other seasons can only be accessed through Quicktime (which won't fullscreen because I've not paid for a pro upgrade). Any ideas on why it's acting this way and what I can do to fix it?

Secondly, can I do anything to cause my own encoded files (not those downloaded from iTunes) to sort into the Music Videos category rather than appearing with the rest under Movies?

Cheers.

ginner

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Yorkshire, England
Converting all the avis to mp4 using isquint seems to have fixed it. Thanks for all the help on this one guys! :rolleyes:

Front Row lists any folders in my Home-->Movies directory and also any imported into iTunes to transfer to my 5G ipod. All the files slow down browsing through the Front Row interface. What's the best way to avoid this duplication short of deleting them from iTunes after they've been transferred?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Just bear in mind that a lot of people might view your post and have no idea how to help and don't want to post simply saying "hey, sorry, but I have no idea how to help".

My personal opinion of Front Row is that it is very, very immature and that most of the stuff you'd want it to do... it just can't do. It has no visible settings, and you sort of have to hack around to get it to do anything.

In the case of your last question, my guess is that you'd need to delete the duplicate files, unless someone has a hacked solution to it. Sorry!

ginner

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Yorkshire, England
jsw said:
Just bear in mind that a lot of people might view your post and have no idea how to help and don't want to post simply saying "hey, sorry, but I have no idea how to help".

My personal opinion of Front Row is that it is very, very immature and that most of the stuff you'd want it to do... it just can't do. It has no visible settings, and you sort of have to hack around to get it to do anything.

Yeah, that's why I posted my solution in here; if someone else has the same problem then hopefully this will help them. I can't believe I'm the only person this has affected though.

When they release an updated Front Row do you think it will be available as a free download (perhaps through Software Update) or is it likely they'll want to charge for an upgrade? I'm unfamiliar with Apple's general business practices.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
ginner said:
Yeah, that's why I posted my solution in here; if someone else has the same problem then hopefully this will help them. I can't believe I'm the only person this has affected though.
Thank you - many people don't, and I think it's great that you did. Helpful to the next person, as you said.
ginner said:
When they release an updated Front Row do you think it will be available as a free download (perhaps through Software Update) or is it likely they'll want to charge for an upgrade? I'm unfamiliar with Apple's general business practices.
It's free now (though bundled). I suspect it will always be free. Maybe - maybe - it'll be bundled with iLife, but I suspect it'll stay free for all iSight-enabled Macs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.