Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chr1ssy711

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
I am pretty computer savvy but with PC now that i got a ibook G4 there are a few things i cant figure out. can anyone help???

1. is there a way to make a "short cut" on the desktop to a folder or program? i can only seem to copy things.

2. Can you expand a page to cover the whole screen like PC? like the browser or document

3. what programs are there like -paint

4. what programs are there like netscape composer for editing HTML

I would be very greatful if anyone could help me.

thanks!

-chrissy

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
1. "Shortcuts" are called aliases. You can right-click an app or document and choose Make Alias, then drag the alias to the desktop.

2. No. The little green button will expand the window to show you the whole document. There's no point in making the window bigger than the document as it'll just be white space. This does take a while to get used to, but you'll eventually realise that it's better :)

3, 4. I'll let someone else field these ones.

L

Lau

Chr1ssy711 said:
I am pretty computer savvy but with PC now that i got a ibook G4 there are a few things i cant figure out. can anyone help???

1. is there a way to make a "short cut" on the desktop to a folder or program? i can only seem to copy things.

2. Can you expand a page to cover the whole screen like PC? like the browser or document

I would be very greatful if anyone could help me.

thanks!

-chrissy

1. Control+click and choose "Make Alias"
2. The only way to reliably do this is to drag the right hand corner of the window. The green button will resize the window to what it deems "useful". This is a more effective way to work with multiple windows, in my opinion.
3. You could check out a free program called Poster Paint, made by a fellow MacRumor poster.

frankblundt

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2005
South of the border
...or you can click then hold down the option and apple keys while you drag a file to where you want the alias (cursor icon will change to an arrow).

There are plenty of HTML editors out there but most of the good ones are pricey (like Dreamweaver or GoLive)

cjc343

macrumors 6502
I don't know how Netscape Composer works, since I've never used it, so I don't know if it's WYSIWYG or plain text editing. Personally, I do most HTML work with a text editor, and my favorite is SubEthaEdit, although I don't use most of the document sharing features.

For basic image editing, I use GraphicConverter, which at least used to ship with new computers...

I hope that answers the unanswered....

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Welcome to the forums Chrissy!

Chr1ssy711 said:
In addition to already mentioned methods you can also just drag a file/folder/whatever while holding down the option (aka alt) and command (aka apple) buttons. Then you will not move the file/folder/whatever but make an alias wherever you "drop" it...

Chr1ssy711 said:
This is one thing all newbies has to get over... :p

But if you, for some reason need to have your browser do this, make a bookmark in your bookmarks bar and change the address to:

javascript:self.moveTo(0,0);self.resizeTo(screen.availWidth,screen.availHeight);

Then you can use that bookmark as a "full screen" button.

Chr1ssy711 said:
What do you use paint for...? If it's a basic image manipilator you want, i.e. something like Photoshop and GIMP, you could try Seashore. It's a bit early in its development, but very promising. If it's more of a drawing program just like Paint you want, then you should be able to use the Paint in Apple Works that should already be installed on your iBook.

Chr1ssy711 said:
Mozilla Composer...? :)

If you want something more advanced but still free, try Nvu. But if you want something easier, and can afford to spend $35, RapidWeaver might be interesting... I don't care for WYSIWYG web editor and recommend that you just get the very nice and free text editor TextWrangler and make your web pages in that... ;)

And remember: Most newbie questions has already been answered more than oce here at MR, so you with a little searching and/or browsing you can find amazing stuff... ;)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
mad jew said:
That's right. The consumer machines get AppleWorks instead which has adequate Paint-type abilities. :)

Well, they did. I wonder what will fill the gap now that AppleWorks is no longer bundled (most likely because it's for PowerPC).

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
But if you, for some reason need to have your browser do this, make a bookmark in your bookmarks bar and change the address to:

javascript:self.moveTo(0,0);self.resizeTo(screen.availWidth,screen.availHeight);

Hey, that's cool. Thanks.

TLRedhawke

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2004
Since the switch from OS 9 to OS X, there has been little need for aliases. This is because it's much more convenient to drag such items into the dock, and use them from there. I personally always put my Applications folder, and my Documents folder into the dock so that I can Ctrl-Click them, and access anything I need to. It's infinitely better than the Windows start menu, for my purposes anyway.

You can drag any application into the left side of the dock, and any document or folder into the right side. You might find this far more convenient than leaving aliases all over the desktop.

frankblundt

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2005
South of the border
TLRedhawke said:
You can drag any application into the left side of the dock, and any document or folder into the right side. You might find this far more convenient than leaving aliases all over the desktop.
that's brilliant! ta. (love this forum) :)

Chr1ssy711

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
thanks so much for everything!!! i am really enjoying my mac, but being so used to PC it has just taken alittle getting used to

thanks for the help!!!

-Chrissy

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
TLRedhawke said:
I personally always put my Applications folder, and my Documents folder into the dock so that I can Ctrl-Click them, and access anything I need to. It's infinitely better than the Windows start menu, for my purposes anyway.

I've never thought to do this, but it's a good idea. I tried it out, but I couldn't get the Application to show everything in it when I Ctrl-Clicked. It worked with the docs folder though. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.