Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
Be careful what you ask for. They'll just stop offering unlimited to grandfathered customers the next time they upgrade.

Could someone explain why AT&T grandfathers some plans? Are they legally obligated to do so? What is preventing them from simply forcing anyone who upgrades a phone to use one of the new data plans?

Yep, next time I try to upgrade I'll be told I can't keep unlimited (much like Verizon decided to do), or they'll make the throttling very clear. More than likely, unlimited will just be gone and they'll try and shove NEXT down my throat.

Eileen89

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2014
AT&T's speeds have slowed so much lately that I feel throttled long before I've reached the 5GB limit on my unlimited plan. Good to see someone is finally stepping in and doing something about it.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
AT&T has never cut off people from downloading data. Data keeps coming to the phone just at a lower speed.
And I still don't get how people can use such much data in a 30 day period. Are they streaming Netflix for like 6 hours a day to their phone?

(Please don't bash me)

I have a long train ride, to and from work. No wifi at work, including for my lunch hour. I use my phone a lot, I guess. But I'm not tethering or watching long videos (just youtube or posted ones on occassion), and I will average a little over 5gb a month. Not too hard for me without really trying.

Not really arguing or agreeing either way. Just sharing what I do and what I see on my bill..

Eileen89

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2014
AT&T has never cut off people from downloading data. Data keeps coming to the phone just at a lower speed.

And I still don't get how people can use such much data in a 30 day period. Are they streaming Netflix for like 6 hours a day to their phone?

(Please don't bash me)

Not just NF. There are other things that use up data in our unlimited plan.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
Just got locked into a 2 year contract...so if they stopped offering unlimited, that would void my new contract. In addition the fact that my family has kept unlimited has been a no brainer for re-contracting with At&t.

If the Unlimited goes away a lot of people would re-evaluate their cellular service. It doesn't necessarily mean they will switch- but now there is an actually reason to look at and consider T-Mobile's or Sprint's unlimited data.

They already stopped offering unlimited. They wouldn't take away unlimited against your will though. After whatever agreement is reached in this mess, they may simply not allow grandfathered plans to keep unlimited data plan after your contract is up AND you try to subsidize a phone.

A more likely scenario is that you'll have to pay in full for your own phone if you want to keep using unlimited. This is what Verizon decided to do, I believe.

armandxp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Orlando, FL
I really hope something comes of this, because what really upsets me is: Last time I checked, iPad's with the unlimited data sim cards, have NEVER been throttled. How is that fair to iPhone users? Or any other user....

megfilmworks

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2007
Sherman Oaks
I get a text from At&t just before I reach 5gigs in a month warning me
that I will be throttled...
Glad to see action on this rip off practice!

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
I really hope something comes of this, because what really upsets me is: Last time I checked, iPad's with the unlimited data sim cards, have NEVER been throttled. How is that fair to iPhone users? Or any other user....

I had forgotten about those lucky ipad 1 users with an unlimited data sim. A somewhat limited window to get into that.

I remember they were being sold for hundreds of dollars on ebay just for the rights to take over that ATT data account :eek:

euvnairb

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2010
Goleta, CA
I wonder what percentage of unlimited users make up ATT's total users? There would have to be a lot for this to be a recurring issue and ATT is actively trying to get these users to switch to a tiered plan. And I wonder how many of those users would leave if they stopped grandathering these plans? I'm one of these users but I just renewed my contract so I'm good for another two years.

uwdude

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2014
Maybe we should stop to think that it might actually be AT&T ASKING the FTC to do this, in order to get a ruling against their current unlimited plans, so that they can conveniently say "Sorry, the government won't let us offer this anymore." Boom, unlimited plans gone, and AT&T doesn't have to take the heat for getting rid of them.

BeSweeet

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Maybe we should stop to think that it might actually be AT&T ASKING the FTC to do this, in order to get a ruling against their current unlimited plans, so that they can conveniently say "Sorry, the government won't let us offer this anymore." Boom, unlimited plans gone, and AT&T doesn't have to take the heat for getting rid of them.

At the risk of losing subscribers who want nothing but an unlimited data plan? Probably a small loss for AT&T anyway.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
More than likely, unlimited will just be gone and they'll try and shove NEXT down my throat.

NEXT has nothing to do with data plans. It's a method by which you finance hardware.

And yes, I'm sure they will try to push it on you, but it is in no way a replacement for a data plan. They'll have to push something totally different on you to replace your unlimited plan.

iamkarlp

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2008
Despite their claims, the throttling does little to help keep the network functional. When a sector is congested, they should throttle everyone. Instead they throttle a small group of people regardless of whether or not there's any congestion. That won't do jack to help their overall network problem

So it's not really a fair use situation

One thing that you have to realize once you start designing and maintaining really large scale networks is that nothing works in a vacuum.

That is to say, while you are correct that there are certain instances where the individual throttling may not have been strictly necessary in one regard (say, because the local RF conditions were still favorable). You do have to realize that there are dozens to hundreds of other systems that are impacted by your activity.*

Thus it is possible to throttle on a micro level (a user connected to a cell tower which otherwise isn't overloaded) when the reason for that throttling is actually a macro level event (constrained peering link, overall re-prioritization of channels to voice due to upcoming anticipated load need, need to stay clear for higher priority traffic at some choke point further upstream, etc)

Again, to be really, painfully, clear. I think it was stupid that AT&T tried to sell cellular as unlimited in the first place. It's a fine concept in wireline (although expensive to do properly). But it is unsustainable in wireless.

The fact that they have continued to grandfather the plans boggles my mind.**

They simply don't begin to charge enough money to supply "unlimited" data, so they need to drop the offering altogether.

They probably also need a punishment that while hopefully not excessive, is painful enough to make everyone understand that "unlimited" isn't something that should be offered unless it truly is without any sort or limit.***

Karl P

*In practice, that means that what is likely happening is that ATT is running their "unlimited" network just like their regular tiered network, and after the "unlimited" network runs through their back-end data allowance as a group, or hits certain tiers as a group, throttling is engaged. Some places it is engaged may need it really desperately, and in other places maybe it wasn't actually needed for micro-network conditions, but in aggregate, across the whole, it hit a certain threshold.

**In reality it does not boggle my mind - I know that they do it because they assume that a good portion of unlimited people would leave if they just unilaterally pulled the contracts. And they are somewhat correct. Thus they decided that the potential cost of a lawsuit was lower than the lost opportunity cost of people leaving. As of yet they have been correct, but it's a horrible way (IMO) to do business.

***If you think about it though - buying an ongoing service for a fixed price where there is truly no limit placed on that service is one which you would reasonably expect to pay an enormous amount of money for relative to a service which has a limit, of any type.

mozart22

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2014
Yup - I finally got "forced" into a shared data plan on ATT due to the throttling. Myself and two kids on my account had the unlimited plan since iPhone came out. But we got throttled so much it became unusable. Call an complain, they would say switch to a shared plan - I finally gave in two months ago. Mostly for my kids. Where they work is no WIFI so they used a lot of data and when throttled would be pissed they couldn't get anything done.

I really feel ATT makes the throttling so slow to force people to move. And the sharing plan is no cheaper - ATT is playing games and I'm glad the FCC is doing something. Doesn't help those of use basically forced to give up unlimited plans though.

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
damn what to do .. switch to share plan and get 30gb or stay with unlimited with the hope they will stop throttling .. only 3 more days :(

sundragon

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2011
Washington, DC
About Fing time!

I've not been throttled but 5GB is not equal to unlimited... It's bold faced lying. They don't throttle people who pay for 20GB when they reach 5GB...

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
AT&T should also be sued for not offering better deals for iPhones and not having a option like unlimited data instead forcing customers to go with the sharing data plan. This cell phone services are nothing more than like cable companies cornering customers where they have no option for a better deal.

T-Mobile has better deal but the coverage sucks why I do not understand when T-Mobile can really become a powerful competitor.

AppleFan4Life83

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2013
You are comparing Breadsticks to Bandwidth...

So like others my first reaction is that of COURSE unlimited means unlimited and that they shouldn't throttle after a certain amount. I have Verizon unlimited and enjoy that's it's truly unlimited and I can use it as a hotspot too. AT&T's perspective is generally that they are giving you an unlimited amount of data but controlling how fast you can actually use it.

Let me ask a similar question.

If I go into a restaurant that heavily advertises unlimited breadsticks, can I reasonably expect UNLIMITED breadsticks? Or is it reasonable for the restaurant to say sure, it's unlimited, but we'll only bring out 1 per person at the table at a time?

I think we'd mostly agree that the latter is acceptable and that a request for 1000 breadsticks would be declined. Is that really any different than what the carriers face, where 95% of customers use 2GB or less and probably 5% are far more than the other 95% combined?

Certainly bandwidth is less of a tangible quantity than a breadstick -- it's harder to argue that I am being wasteful by using 100GB. But, let's not act like bandwidth is an unlimited resource, either. It does cost money to expand capacity and if the bulk of that is being forced by a few users sucking down enormous amounts of data then they are indeed a very real cost to the carriers and to all of us.

Dunno what the right answer is, but I do think it's far more complex than the FTC's argument that unlimited means unlimited.

This is analogy is not correct and misses the point. The point is not the breadsticks (breadsticks = data), but how fast you get the breadsticks (service = bandwidth). So, in your analogy, the restaurant would give you the normal amount of breadsticks. However, the server would be instructed to take an extra 5 minutes each time you asked for more breadsticks. After 5 times of asking for more breadsticks, it would take the server 30 minutes to deliver the breadsticks to your table.

If you were that customer, you would be pissed because the restaurant is intentionally giving you poor customer service, simply because you are asking for what they said they would give you. ;)

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
I feel like I don't really have an unlimited plan, because once I hit 5Gb, my "unlimited data" is worthless.

Not to mention the fact that when I purchased my iPhone 6 and renewed my contract, ATT raised my monthly bill such that they will make an extra $1000 over the course of my 2 year contract.

ATT sucks, but I'm not sure the other options out there are much better.

bradkrischel

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2010
USA
I've been throttled on two separate occasions. Once when I went over 3GB of data in one month, and just recently I was throttled when I went over the 5GB mark. Usually this isn't an issue for me, but when it has been it is a HUGE inconvenience. Getting throttled to 0.5 Mbps after using 5GB on an unlimited plan is ridiculous when they will allow you to purchase up to 100GB of data to be used with zero throttling on a non-unlimited plan. And yes, I understand from a business perspective what they are trying to do, but don't give customers "unlimited" data when it isn't really unlimited. If AT&T doesn't want their customers to have true unlimited data, then phase it out. For instance, when a customer signs up for a new 2-year commitment, no longer allow the "unlimited" data plan to carry over. That's a really simple solution that would be FAR LESS misleading.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.