Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimthorn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2003
Huntington Beach, CA, USA
Re: FTP and iDisk

Originally posted by robotrenegade
Can you use a FTP app(transmit) to access your idisk or .mac account?

No. There are a few other controls for your iDisk that you can access if you install the iDisk Utility found on mac.com. iDisk Utility is also available for Windows XP, if you were looking for a way to access iDisk files from a PC. What is it that you need to do?

(By the way, I use Transmit myself for FTP, and I like it too)

robotrenegade

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2002
Greenville,SC
I have idisk i want to access useing other apps like dreamweaver or something other then idisk utility. I don't want to use apples pre-made layouts.

jimthorn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2003
Huntington Beach, CA, USA
You don't have to use Apple's pre-made layouts. Design your site however you want. Simply mount your iDisk, open the Sites folder, and transfer all the files in as you would in a root directory of a web site (index.html, etc). Your site will now be available at http://homepage.mac.com/your_user_name/.

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
on a somewhat related topic...
does anyone know if apple plans on providing the user with a gui control over the moddav part of apache? moddav allows the apache server to serve webdav "disks" and i believe it's included in the jaguar install (but without any easy configuration options). the mod essentially allows you to serve your own idisk from any computer with apache installed.

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2001
I recommend using Goliath for transferring large amounts of data (or numerous files for that matter) to and from iDisk. Search for it on MAc OS X downloads

Originally posted by FattyMembrane
on a somewhat related topic...
does anyone know if apple plans on providing the user with a gui control over the moddav part of apache? moddav allows the apache server to serve webdav "disks" and i believe it's included in the jaguar install (but without any easy configuration options). the mod essentially allows you to serve your own idisk from any computer with apache installed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.