FTP and iDisk

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by robotrenegade, Jun 25, 2003.

1. robotrenegade macrumors 6502a

Can you use a FTP app(transmit) to access your idisk or .mac account?

2. jimthorn macrumors 6502a

jimthorn

Re: FTP and iDisk

No. There are a few other controls for your iDisk that you can access if you install the iDisk Utility found on mac.com. iDisk Utility is also available for Windows XP, if you were looking for a way to access iDisk files from a PC. What is it that you need to do?

(By the way, I use Transmit myself for FTP, and I like it too)

3. robotrenegade thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have idisk i want to access useing other apps like dreamweaver or something other then idisk utility. I don't want to use apples pre-made layouts.

4. jimthorn macrumors 6502a

jimthorn

You don't have to use Apple's pre-made layouts. Design your site however you want. Simply mount your iDisk, open the Sites folder, and transfer all the files in as you would in a root directory of a web site (index.html, etc). Your site will now be available at http://homepage.mac.com/your_user_name/.

5. robotrenegade thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

on a somewhat related topic...
    does anyone know if apple plans on providing the user with a gui control over the moddav part of apache? moddav allows the apache server to serve webdav "disks" and i believe it's included in the jaguar install (but without any easy configuration options). the mod essentially allows you to serve your own idisk from any computer with apache installed.

7. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

I recommend using Goliath for transferring large amounts of data (or numerous files for that matter) to and from iDisk. Search for it on MAc OS X downloads