Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mj71

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2005
I've enabled the FTP daemon under Panther and am uploading very large image files from my work PC. I can't seem to get better than 64k throughput per session even though I'm sending from a T1 at work to a cablemodem with 5Mbps download at home.

It also seems like a limitation because I can open up at least 3 different simultaneous transfers all seem to stick right at 64k. Anyone know a way to remove this limit?

Norouzi

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
I actually don't know if there's an upload cap on FTP in general, but could it be caped by your office? I wouldn't be suprised if your company capped the upload to prevent file sharing in the office.

mj71

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2005
Good suggestion, but as I am the network administrator I'm positive there's no traffic limits on our side. Specifically, I know I can get close to the 192k T1 throughput while using file sharing software! ;)

Norouzi

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
Well in that case I got nothing. From a quick google I didn't find anything that said that there was a speed cap on FTP transfers. What FTP program are you using on the PC? Maybe there's a cap in it?

mj71

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2005
Thanks for the quick responses. Another good suggestion. I just tried an upload to our ISP hosted website and was able to get 163k from the same FTP program I'm using to send the files home. Doesn't appear to be a limit in the client program.

I'm still under my 90-day free tech support from Apple, so maybe I'll give them a call. I just don't relish having to explain this to their level-1 support.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.