Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Main reason why I swore off DBrand skins. Ruined the back of my 6S+, in addition to being tricky to apply properly.

doug in albq

Suspended
Oct 12, 2007
Apologist - A person who argues in defense or justification of something, such as a doctrine, policy, or institution.

Nobody is arguing in defense of this and many prefer the back of their phone whether it be Apple or Samsung or whatever to be free from brandings.
Get a life.
Being happy about poor device production/construction, even if just the "paint job" is being an apologist. Give it up, already.

Tech for Kings

macrumors member
May 24, 2016
Ohio
Yup, I definitely agree with most commenters. I'm glad I'm in the US, so our models already have less of that ugly crap. Getting rid of it makes it look so clean. Although, I probably wouldn't mind keeping just "iPhone", but that can go too.

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
I thought so too. My iPhone 6s doesn't have any of those FCC labels..

The emblems are no longer required (and not there on my 6s Plus) but the Model number, FCC ID number, and IC number are definitely there on the s models, same as the 7. Not sure why the emblems made a return.

WRChris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2016
Indiana

While full-device skins can be a good solution for iPhone owners looking for scratch protection without using a full case, those with Jet Black models should exercise caution when applying or removing the plastic wrap.

jet_black_rubbing_off.jpg

A small number of iPhone 7 Plus owners with Jet Black models have noticed the text printed on the back of the device, such as "Designed by Apple in California," becomes transposed onto the skin upon being removed from the device.

MacRumors forum member ksyu found out the hard way when he removed a full-device skin from his iPhone 7 Plus and noticed the letters transferred onto the plastic. Under bright light, all of the rear markings, including "iPhone" and the required regulatory labels, are easily distinguishable.

"I had a normal protector on for about 1 minute and took it off," he said. "The writing peels right off."

MacRumors reader Keith experienced a similar situation when removing a Slickwraps from his iPhone 7 Plus:

The fine print does not completely come off the iPhone, but it does become faded. This type of issue has not affected previous iPhone models, nor does it appear to affect Black, Gold, Rose Gold, or Silver colors.

Apple says the high-gloss Jet Black finish is achieved through a precision nine-step anodization and polishing process, but it remains unclear why the letters are rubbing off for some users. Fortunately, the problem does not appear to be widespread, but full-skin aficionados should be extra careful.

Article Link: Full-Device Skins Causing 'iPhone' and Regulatory Labels to Peel Off Back of Jet Black iPhones
This is a defect, but at the same time imagine going into an Apple Store over this.
Consumer: I'm here to replace my defective phone.
Employee: I'm sorry you've been having problems, what is the issue?
Consumer: This thing spontaneously combu..I mean, the text peeled off the back.

erzhik

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2010
How come almost every issue with an Apple product is described on here as "A small number of....."?

It's not just Apple. It's every major brand. Nobody is going to go out and say: "****, all of your products in certain color or material is ****ed". That's how your stock prices drop.

Eduardo1971

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2006
Lost Angeles, Ca. usa
Seven pages of replies (as of this posting).

My contribution:
You're peeling it wrong.

(Sorry, I couldn't resist; seven pages, I'm sure am not the only one with this response.)

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Now you don't need to use photoshop when selling your phone to blurt out the identifiable info.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.