Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
Sirus The Virus said:
2001: A Space Odyssey
Walk The Line
The Day The Earth Stood Still

I like movies.

Those are great movies, but the title of this thread is Funniest Movie, and I don't consider any of those to be comedies.

My list:
Tommy Boy
Animal House
Office Space
Mallrats

emmawu

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2005
Wauwatosa, WI
The Dentist
It's A Gift
Bringing Up Baby
His Girl Friday
A Hard Day's Night
Love and Death
Annie Hall
Ghostbusters
Groundhog Day

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
Blue Velvet said:
Eraserhead. Seriously...

I rented Eraserhead years and years and years ago, when I was in high school, and immediately became a David Lynch fan. It is probably one of the strangest movies ever made, and I'm not even sure how to describe its humor. Everybody in the movie acts like they're either permanently stoned, or lacking vital parts of their brain. I think I'll try to find the DVD, or maybe Google it in hopes of finding out what it really was about. The line "They're not sure if it is a baby yet..." and the long ride in the elevator remain burned into my mind to this day.

Besides Eraserhead, I'll vote for "This Is Spinal Tap" and pretty much any Monty Python movie. The interrogation scene in Something About Mary also had me in stitches.

jefhatfield

Retired
Original poster
Jul 9, 2000
annie hall, mentioned more than once...great movie

office space, mentioned several times...i guess i have got to check out this one

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
Blue Velvet said:
Eraserhead. Seriously...

Amazing. When I read the thread title, the first movie that came to mind was "Blue Velvet." Cracks me up every time...

Also:

The Producers (the original)
Happiness
Any early Marx Bros.
The South Park movie
Dr. Strangelove
Pink Flamingos
Spinal Tap

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Huh, I never really thought of Big Fish as a comedy. It's a fantastic movie, but any movie that brings me to tears at the end doesn't go in my "comedy" file. ;)

Oh, and I vote for Raising Arizona.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Lyle said:
Huh, I never really thought of Big Fish as a comedy. It's a fantastic movie, but any movie that brings me to tears at the end doesn't go in my "comedy" file. ;)
No, it's not really a comedy, but it is really funny... and the question were for funny movies, not necessarily comedies... :)

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
Blue Velvet said:
Very nice one... Pabst Blue Ribbon! :D

i forgot about all the funny thinks Frank said. i tthink i almost wet myself during the beer scene.
Frank: "that beer's gonna get warm. if there's one thing i can't stand it's warm beer... makes me f[beep]ing puke!"
frank's buddy - "here's the beer frank. do you want me to pour it?"
F: "NO, i want you to f[beep] it. s[beep] yes man, pour the f[beep]ing beer!"

i almost died! :D

jefhatfield

Retired
Original poster
Jul 9, 2000
when i first saw pulp fiction, i was grossed out by the violence yet i thought it was one of the better movies that year

after three times viewing it, i realized that it could be seen as a comedy...esp. the scene where quentin's nurse wife walks in on the mayhem...my house doesn't have a sign that says " blank blank storage" on it :)

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
I tried not to pick any stupid funny movies, but movies that I find very funny, but also have a decent plot. In no particular order, and I may have missed a few but here are five;

Office Space
Tommy Boy
Grosse Pointe Blank
Death to Smoochy
Big Trouble

DISCOMUNICATION

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cambridge, MA USA
Blood and guts and laughs

PlaceofDis said:
From Dusk Till Dawn cracks me up
so does Once Upon A Time in Mexico.
I only recently saw Once Upon A Time in Mexico(the Good, the Bad, & the Wacky)
Evil Dead 1, 2, & 3(Army of Darkness)
Versus-Evil Dead meets the Matrix meets the 3 Stooges meets Highlander or some kinda samurai movie. If you can't stomach the gore in Evil Dead you probably shouldn't watch this.
Samurai Fiction

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
For me, it would be Terms of Endearment, Philadelphia and Crash.
Oh wait, wrong thread. heheh

Here's to the Crazy Ones

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.