Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Danrose1977

macrumors regular
Original poster
So... I sit down at my collegues desk to help him with something in Photoshop. He's got windows open all over the shop, so naturally I hit F10 to let expose sort out his photoshop windows....... nothing

F9.... nothing
F11.... nothing

I assume (as you would) that he has remapped his keys.

F8
F7
F6
F5
F4
F3

"...what are you doing?" asks my bemused collegue.

I explain that his Mac is screwed up.... he explains that its a WinPC running a program called windows blinds. It was possibly the most mac like PC that I have ever seen!

I told him to get a real Mac and stop being a wanabee...

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
My father in law has done the same thing with his Windows laptop. He's a Mac person, but he needed to run some GPS software on Windows, and VPC wasn't fast enough for him. It's very disconcerting using his computer, because he has rearranged everything to look like a Mac. When I have to use Windows, I prefer to keep the Windows look and feel. Helps me remember it's not a Mac.

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
Didn't the keyboard and/or look of the computer give it away that it's not a Mac?

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
wordmunger said:
When I have to use Windows, I prefer to keep the Windows look and feel. Helps me remember it's not a Mac.

I have a better way of determining whether it's Mac or Windows, beyond appearance: if i try to do something, including but not limited to: opening a large file, scrolling through a table embedded in a word doc, using find/replace immediately before printing or saving, or hell, simply printing, and it *works*, i'm using a mac. if it crashes the program, and sometimes the computer, along with corrupting my file, it's a windows machine :D

paul

Applexilef

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2004
I have a friend who has that program too, it looks like the real thing. In fact, he's so close to switching that his current dell laptop has an Apple sticker on top of the dell symbol.

I also have a work partner who configured his linux to look very close to windows xp. I was using his computer and I barely noticed anything different. These days you can be easily fooled...

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
next time hit the key in the spot of the apple or windows key and see what it does, quite a simple test ...

mrjamin

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2003
Strongbadia
i used to run window blinds on my pc with an OSX skin on it, yep - i had a dock too. You can even get Exposé for windows now (can't remember the website).

...this was all before i got a 'proper' mac ;)

MrJ

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.