Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I would prefer this on the iPhone. Just tap the home button vs click. To many home buttons get loose after a while.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I also use "tap to click" and I really like it, but you also need the "button" press for dragging things, at least if you don't use that "three finger drag" (which I don't like at all).

No, you don't.

You don't need the button press for anything, since there's an option that allows you to drag windows with double tap on the edge of the window.

Here's how to enable it (Mavericks): Go to Sistem Preferences > Accesibility > Trackpad and Mouse > Trackpad options > Activate the second option, and also you can choose to block that action, in order to be able to drag windows without keeping your finger touching the trackpad all the time.

That's the best way I've found to explain it; sorry, I don't speak english every day.

I have been using the tap thing since I bought my MacBook Pro in 2010, and never been a fan of that "clack" of the trackpad.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
the current trackpad is already years ahead of the competitors. this will leave the competition far behind. :apple:

bungiefan89

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
I know what people are saying... this is supposed to be an improvement, and they're keeping the ability to "click" the trackpad. That's all well and good.

But if it's not good enough for me and they release it on the new Macbook Air this year, then I will NOT be buying the latest Macbook Air.

How the trackpad functions is very much a make-or-break feature for me.

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
So, take out the actual button, and then make it to where a tap feels like clicking a button. A virtual button that feels like a button.

Wouldn't it be easier to leave it as is?

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
I don't know if I would like this. I almost always use the click as opposed to the tap

Actually it works surprisingly well. Six or seven years ago we put together a slot machine that used haptic feedback. In addition to the main display we replaced the buttons with an LCD. When you would press the on screen buttons it would vibrate and feel like a normal button press. It was a big hit in the back room demos we gave at that year's G2E show.

People liked it even though our implementation was a bit clunky. I'm sure Apple's version would be that much better. ;)

----------

So, take out the actual button, and then make it to where a tap feels like clicking a button. A virtual button that feels like a button.

Wouldn't it be easier to leave it as is?

Easier perhaps but the current design doesn't function consistently.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
This is a good idea: it is currently almost impossible to drag and drop comfortably with a single hand and to cover the entire trackpad area while doing so. Your thumb has to press the lower part of the trackpad, and your index finger can then hardly move to drag. If the whole thing was clickable, you would finally be able to drag and drop like with a mouse, like good old times. You'd use a single finger, move the pointer, press harder to click, and move your finger somewhere else and release. Simple!

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
I don't know if I would like this. I almost always use the click as opposed to the tap

The idea is that a bit of software would mimic the "click" feel based on sensing your fingers. without looking it would feel the same. but with no moving pieces.

Thus continues Apple's war on moving pieces. Because movingbpieces need repairs.. That leaves the Power button and Keyboard....

Sy7ygy

Suspended
Nov 16, 2012
Tap is great if you are a casual email browser.

Click is for serious users with a deadline to meet.

If Apple go for a click less design, it will be the end of the laptop. End of conversation.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
There was a time when Apple was still interested in notebooks...

As you're an owner of a Retina MacBook Pro, I'm a little shocked you're saying that. It's simply the best notebook on the market. Go back to the MacBook Pros of 2008 and you'll see just how much Apple's notebook line has evolved.

adamneer

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2013
Chicago, IL
A TrackPad without a button definitely seems like a good idea. I changed my settings to 'tap to click' practically on day 1 because it's much easier and quicker - never mind less audibly annoying. But I've also started to notice my TrackPad 'wobbling' almost and sometimes sounding like its loose when I'm tapping on it which could suggest the button is prone to loosening.

thats actually likely the hard drive or battery that are mounted directly beneath the trackpad. if you have a first gen unibody macbook pro, its easy to remove the battery panel and press on the corners of the hard drive to see if the shock mounts are loose. with the later gens, you'd have to remove the screws that attach the entire bottom panel to get at the drive.

danielsutton

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2011
Click, click, click

Is anyone on this forum capable of reading, or just moaning?

It explains quite clearly that when you press down it would still function and feel a button now you miserable sods.

The benefit is that they can remove the dated hinge mechanism which makes more power for good things and you'll be able to click at both the bottom AND the top of the trackpad...basically its like now, but better.

Its not rocket science to read and understand.

I think what a lot of people are griping about regards clicking and dragging, such as moving a file from one folder to another, or moving an icon on the desktop. However, with the sensors in the new trackpad and the actuators, nobody will be missing the "clicky" feeling of the older trackpads.

Doc C

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2013
Dragging

I also use "tap to click" and I really like it, but you also need the "button" press for dragging things, at least if you don't use that "three finger drag" (which I don't like at all).

if you go into the accessibility settings and choose "Mouse & Trackpad" then trackpad options, you can enable dragging (I prefer without drag lock). Then, to drag, simply double tap, but hold the second tap and slide around to drag. I find it easier than the three-finger shuffle, but YMMV.

EDIT: Oh, and if you run out of real estate on your trackpad, simply keep that finger down on the trackpad but use another finger to slide in the direction you want to drag, and the dragging continues. Of course, if you change your mind, hit ESC and the dragging is cancelled.

SVT Amateur

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2006
Tyler, Texas
The one thing that I do feel is annoying about the MBP is the click on the trackpad. It almost makes the computer unusable at night when trying to browse the web and your spouse is trying to go to sleep. And I know - it is a minor gripe - but I think I would prefer something that doesn't make a click noise.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
I think what a lot of people are griping about regards clicking and dragging, such as moving a file from one folder to another, or moving an icon on the desktop. However, with the sensors in the new trackpad and the actuators, nobody will be missing the "clicky" feeling of the older trackpads.

Yes, which is what I was pointing out is clearly mentioned in the article - if anything the "clicky feeling" will be enhanced not taken anyway! They've read the title and turned their brains off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.