Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacManiac1224

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2001
NY
I just read this article at http://www.macosrumors.com.
-------
The G5 went into volume production as of last thursday. It is being produced in 1.2, 1.4, and 1.6Ghz versions. The chips that are testing at 1Ghz are being set aside, in case there are not enough 1.6Ghz chips to release that machine. If yield are good enough, Cisco has committed to buying them for a new upcoming high-end router. The G5 is appearing to scale much better than the G4. One chip so far has clocked at 2.8Ghz, and a number though not large are clocking over 2Ghz.

Some people have speculated that the G5 is going to be a multicored chip. This is absolutely false! The major performance enhancements of the G5 come from a totally revamped ultrascalar core design. The FPU and Integer units were completely redesigned from the ground up. There is a multicored G5 design in the works for future apple servers.

The chances of the Power Mac G5 debuting this January now depend entirely on how many G5 chips Motorola is able to Fab. Currently, yield average 4.5 chips per wafer. A production run of Power Mac G5's is tentatively scheduled on Dec 14 for the low-end, and Dec 20 for the Mid-range, and Jan 3 for the High-end machines. The G5 machines will have DDR ram, Gigawire, and a much faster bus. Because of the high cost of the G5 processor, only the mid and high end machines will sport superdrivers.

Work on future processors is also coming along. The G6 is on schedule to reach initial silicon by early 2003, and be released Q3 2003. Work has begun on it a little less than a year ago.
------------

The part that intrigues me is this:
-----------
There is a multicored G5 design in the works for future apple servers.
-----------
My question is, is Apple going to try to make an honest effort and try to compete in the server market?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.