Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gigatigga

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2015
Hope it stays away for good. Having this available will bring some developers to depend on it and build ****** uis.

How does being able to control things with the pencil the same way your finger or a capacitive stylus cause bad UIs? I'm not really sure I make that connection

Reactions: fenjen

gigatigga

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2015
I think maybe that might be something to worry about if the apple pencil becomes compatible across the entire iPad line, but with its Pro exclusivity one would have to have a pretty narrow scope in their design process to do that. Further, in its current, hopefully hobbled, state, tapping of targets remains the same, it's only the movement of elements that is effected. So even if apple were to permanently change the pencil to function the way it does in the 9.3 beta, poor design choices based on touch target size wouldn't be effected by this change in the pencil functionality.

zaneliu

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2013
Berkeley
I downgraded back to 9.2 on the iPad. Honestly, the speed enhancements weren't as noticeable on the pro because it was already operating so smoothly.

Reactions: gigatigga

RobinInOR

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2014
If this is truly the functionality of the pencil to come, this is when my iPads will start using different versions.
I won't upgrade my IPP to 9.3 because I depend on the pencil for scrolling and navigation as well as writing. My IPP sits on my desk at work in a way I need the extra 'reach' of the pencil to touch my screen.

And I'll update my mini to 9.3 because pencil functionality isn't there and I want the new night screen functionality because I use my mini at night instead of my Kindle

yillbs

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2015
Texas
If this is truly the functionality of the pencil to come, this is when my iPads will start using different versions.
I won't upgrade my IPP to 9.3 because I depend on the pencil for scrolling and navigation as well as writing. My IPP sits on my desk at work in a way I need the extra 'reach' of the pencil to touch my screen.

And I'll update my mini to 9.3 because pencil functionality isn't there and I want the new night screen functionality because I use my mini at night instead of my Kindle
huh? It's a beta, apple isn't going to leave pencil support out in the public release of 9.3.

yillbs

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2015
Texas
lol, fair enough. I'll rephrase, it's not logical for them to do that when they are promoting this as selling feature. On the same quote as before though, why would each ipad have different versions? Their are version specific ipad features in the same version of Ios, like PiP, and the two pieced keyboard on the air 2, but not on the pro.

BrennerM

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Seems like they should just make a setting (or settings) to determine the pencil behaviours that you like or don't like to be activated, since there seem to be people on different sides of this fence. But it is Apple so they will probably decide unilaterally what everyone likes. I love the products but wish they would just make more things configurable in settings.

malandra

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2003
*sigh*

I've grown accustomed to a "no soup for you" policy where all things Apple are concerned. I really hope I'm wrong this time and I'm not stuck with 9.2 forever...

Precision Gem

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2015
USA
Does anyone know if 9.2.1 breaks this functionality of the pencil too? I use it for navigation and scrolling too. Keeps the screen clean and is more precise than you finger.

gigatigga

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2015
The latest available 9.3 update from Jan 14th does not resolve the "issue" as it were. I expect apple to release another 9.3 beta (actually expected it today but maybe not this week with yesterday's public 9.2.1 release), but as of now there isn't a 9.3 beta with apple pencil functionality the same as 9.2.1

JohnBevo

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2016
I can use it only in apps that have been updated with Apple pencil support. I really doubt they removed the ability for the pencil to control the interface after already having it work that way, on purpose. Thus I say "broken", just to save someone some time if they were thinking of updating to the beta, but would really be bummed without this.
In supporting gigatigga, the problem is also in the just released public 9.2.1.

gigatigga

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2015
In supporting gigatigga, the problem is also in the just released public 9.2.1.

Yeah I'm not seeing any changes from 9.2 to 9.2.1, have you checked and made sure the tip is screwed on tightly? Sometimes it can jar a bit loose and cause issues. But as far as my experience 9.2.1 didn't change anything

JohnBevo

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2016
Y
Yeah I'm not seeing any changes from 9.2 to 9.2.1, have you checked and made sure the tip is screwed on tightly? Sometimes it can jar a bit loose and cause issues. But as far as my experience 9.2.1 didn't change anything
Tip is on tightly and battery at 100%. Have Verizon version of Pro with cell data off, only using WiFi. No problems with 9.2, have been using it everywhere it can...kept the screen cleaner. Now it will "work" for a minute or two then become unresponsive, then respond again and so on. Control in Flipboard becomes impossible. Have done a soft restart twice and each time after, it works fine for a little while, then...not.

gigatigga

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2015
Hmm I think that is a different issue. The issue with the pencil not working in 9.3 isn't intermittent.

JohnBevo

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2016
Y

Tip is on tightly and battery at 100%. Have Verizon version of Pro with cell data off, only using WiFi. No problems with 9.2, have been using it everywhere it can...kept the screen cleaner. Now it will "work" for a minute or two then become unresponsive, then respond again and so on. Control in Flipboard becomes impossible. Have done a soft restart twice and each time after, it works fine for a little while, then...not.
Switched to the spare tip that came with Pencil. Working ok for now. Trying all the apps I normally use. May be the original tip or the act of reconnecting tip but, for now, it is back acting like it did in 9.2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.