Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I don't have Pencil to test this, but the people who have Pencil and 9.3 beta have repeatedly said that the only thing that doesn't work any longer is scrolling with the Pencil. From that, I assume that pulling down Notification Center and pulling up Control Center and sliding in the multi tasking screen with the Pencil should all still work.

I don't think pulling in NC or CC or Slideover/Split Screen ever worked with the Pencil. (At least never did on mine in either 9.2, 9.2.1 and 9.3)

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Hm, interesting. Does it work with a regular stylus?

I don't know other stylus.

The Apple Pencil can be used to drag NC, CC around once they're open but can't open them initially. (This has always been the case for me for 9.2, 9.2.2 and still in 9.3)

The Pencil can't pull in Slide Over/Split Screen and can't be used to resize Split Screen. (I don't remember if it could resize Split in 9.2, 9.2.1)

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
The one nice thing iOS 9.3 added is you can now turn off Bluetooth to save battery, and turn it back on without having to plug the Pencil back in to the iPad for it to work again. Very nice addition.

sjleworthy

macrumors 68000
Dec 5, 2008
Penarth, Wales, UK
I don't know other stylus.

The Apple Pencil can be used to drag NC, CC around once they're open but can't open them initially. (This has always been the case for me for 9.2, 9.2.2 and still in 9.3)

The Pencil can't pull in Slide Over/Split Screen and can't be used to resize Split Screen. (I don't remember if it could resize Split in 9.2, 9.2.1)

My regular stylus can do all of these things. Apple Pencil cant, and never has.

rews

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2013
Nottingham, England
None of this bothers me in the slightest, I use my stylus for digital painting in procreate, vector illustration with Adobe draw and as a graphics tablet with Astropad.

I find it a bit strange to use it for navigating around the web or carrying out other tasks, but that's just me.

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
Short form: Beta software sucks.

I assume you brave beta users have all reported this bug to Apple.

If you didn't want to see bugs, you probably made a mistake signing up to test beta software.

In the words of Father Emil from Our Lady of Perpetual Responsibility church, "If you didn't want to go to St. Paul, why did you get on the bus?"
I'm not worried about bugs in beta, I'm worried about Apple pulling the ability to navigate with the pencil. If it's a bug, bad luck, happens with betas.
[doublepost=1456090366][/doublepost]
I wasn't responding to you.

I don't know about you and definitely nobody should use two styli. For me it is natural to use the middle finger for brief interactions with the screen while holding the Pencil. Even when I write on a paper notebook I flip the pages with the same hand (the right hand in my case) I'm holding the pencil, so on the iPad it's even easier. I know I'm not the only one doing that, I saw videos on YouTube with people who draw and write on the iPad exactly the same way I do, so that's that.

I know you weren't responding to me, thank you.
I just can't swipe with one finger in PDFs expert 5 it needs two fingers. So I need two. That means I need to hold the pencil and swipe with two fingers. It's not impossible but annoyed the <*£~\}£! Out of me and I went back to 9.2.1.

Last edited:

Beavix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2010
Romania
I just can't swipe with one finger in PDFs expert 5 it needs two fingers. So I need two. That means I need to hold the pencil and swipe with two fingers. It's not impossible but annoyed the <*£~\}£! Out of me and I went back to 9.2.1.

This has nothing to do with the changes in iOS 9.3. In PDF Expert you can't scroll with the Pencil when you're in the writing mode. This is actually a good example for the confusing behaviour of the Pencil in relation to the UI.

lindafus

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2010
I only use the Apple Pencil for navigation on my iPad Pro not my fingers. I use it to draw as well. I am supposed to switch to another brand of stylus for navigation and put the pencil away to only use if I draw? Back to Pencil 53 if this is the case. This is really annoying that they would even consider to disable navigation! $100 stylus that does drawing only? Even my Cintiq touch lets me use the stylus to navigate? Say it ain't so APPLE?

Reactions: A.R.E.A.M.

gigatigga

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2015
Does anyone have experience with the Wacom Bluetooth stylus and iOS? I never used a Bluetooth connected stylus before the apple pencil, I only used capacitive rubber stylus. Are the Wacom Bluetooth stylus much different than the apple pencil?

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
We did it everybody! We did it! :D

Did what?

Apple was internally making improvements to the ability, so instead of having possibly buggy navigation they temporarily removed it in beta while they worked on it and had always intended to put it back for the final beta or release.

The "issue" being made more public yesterday only made Apple come out and reassure everyone that it is coming back and wasn't something intended to be removed moving forward from 9.3 onwards.

Reactions: A.R.E.A.M.

Gary5511

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2016
Just wanted to tell everyone (I've seen several reports on Reddit and confirmed on my own) that if you install the 9.3 dev beta, your apple pencil will stop being able to control the interface. All it can do after the update is select things, can't scroll or move anything around with it.

I just read that Apple has announced that the navigation functions of the Pencil will be back in the next 9.3 bata releas.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Not until next beta

Do we have time for another beta? The speculation is that there will be an event on March 15, and iPad Air 3 and iPhone 5se will be announced there, then iOS 9.3 will be released with those devices. So when would they release another beta?

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Do we have time for another beta? The speculation is that there will be an event on March 15, and iPad Air 3 and iPhone 5se will be announced there, then iOS 9.3 will be released with those devices. So when would they release another beta?

March 15th is 3 weeks from the release of beta 4. Time between builds has been 2 weeks. 2 is less than 3.

They may also just do a week between beta 4 and 5.

corvera

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2006
Anyone updated to the latest 9.3 beta 6 can confirm Apple Pencil functionality?
[doublepost=1457376073][/doublepost]
Anyone updated to the latest 9.3 beta 6 can confirm Apple Pencil functionality?

Ok, apparently it's working fine...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.