Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apple_iBoy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
I picked up an old iMac (summer 2001) model G3 earlier today. It was running Jaguar on the original 20GB hard disk.

I swapped in a larger HD, which had a installation of Panther already on it. Booted up and everything seems A-OK, except that the CPU is being reported as 400 MHz in the System Profiler. I'm positive that it (accurately) said 500 MHz when the old Jaguar drive was in there.

Anyone have any suggestions or thoughts?

Faraday

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2004
Melbourne Australia
You can check what the speed the machine left the factory as by checking the serial number here -> http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

The reported CPU speed on an Open Firmware based Mac can be changed using Open Firmware commands. These changes can be stored in NVRAM, so they will survive a reboot. However these changes will be cleared if you reset the PRAM, reset Open Firmware or perhaps even leave the machine off power for long enough.

The machine might have been reporting 500 MHz due to an Open Firmware entry, but working with the hardware to install the new hard drive has removed this hack. Just a theory ...

apple_iBoy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
fixed, maybe?

Actually, it has now gone back to 500 MHz. I installed all the Panther updates to bring the system up to date, and after a reboot, the system is now properly reporting the speed.

I'll keep an eye on it -- hopefully it stays there this time!

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
apple_iBoy said:
Actually, it has now gone back to 500 MHz. I installed all the Panther updates to bring the system up to date, and after a reboot, the system is now properly reporting the speed.

I'll keep an eye on it -- hopefully it stays there this time!

JFYI, I have Tiger on the same machine and a 120gb hd in it with 1gb of ram, too. Sweet little old iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.