Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

network23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 18, 2002
Illinois
I have a Sawtooth G4 running 10.3.7 that I want to update to 10.3.8. Before I do, I am trying to Carbon Copy Clone it to an external FW drive.

The copy appears to go fine. Then I attempt to boot from the FW. At first everything is working great and I get to the "status" dialog, then it hangs for the longest time (about a minute or more) on the Apple File Service starting part, then it finally gets to "Login Window starting" and never gets past that part. It's been sitting at that message for 15 minutes now.

Any ideas? I've been able to boot from this FW on this G4 before.

Running latest version of CCC.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i would guess that something went wrong or was not coppied correctly with CCC, so i would boot up your Sawtooth and either delete the copy you just made, or try to copy it again, thats the only thing i can think of right now

good luck

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
The FW hard drive is formatted has HFS+, right? OS X won't start off on anything less.

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
also, were you sure to click the button that makes the copy bootable? it is not hard to overlook, and could easily be the root of your problem.

network23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 18, 2002
Illinois
Thanks all for the suggestions...

I had tried it several times, all with the same results...

Yes, FW drive is HFS+ formatted...

Yes, "bootable" button was selected...

I had deleted everything off the FW drive which didn't help either.

So I did what Bombich suggested in directions, which seems crazy at times, and erased the drive. This time it worked.

Not sure what the difference is between a drive that's had everything deleted and an Erased drive, but it CAN sometimes make a difference!

Upgraded to 10.3.8. Yay!

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
network23 said:
Not sure what the difference is between a drive that's had everything deleted and an Erased drive, but it CAN sometimes make a difference!

Deleting everything still leaves the data there, but the computer is told that it is gone. Erasing erases the data.

In short, very short.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.