Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Where to get a new power supply for a G4 Power Mac? Do these older power macs use generic supplies?

Maybe I'll just take the unit apart and try and figure out what's wrong with it. Problem is that it shuts down at random times. My guess is a thermal sensor that is overly sensitive.

alexprice

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2005
Does the PSU fan work?

Which PowerMac G4 do you own? IE: Digital Audio, QuickSilver, Mirror Door, Gigabit Ethernet, AGP, PCI?

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
It might not be your power supply - if the machine gets too hot it will shut itself down. Forcing it to run willl likely fry something.

In order to get a replacement part, you need to know precisely which Mac you have (there are many Power Mac G4 varieties).

Check online resellers like this one - but be prepared to shell out, some of these units are quite expensive to replace.

ATX power supplies will not work, except with the Yikes and Sawtooth G4s (do some research before swapping though)

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I think the PowerMac G4 (while a little chubby) is the best looking Mac tower ever made - the graphite ones are very attactive, but the Quicksilver is just downright beautiful. The G5/Mac Pro are clean and purposeful, but not as pretty (maybe because they are massive)...

If my PSU blows I'd be up a creek - ~$180 for a 338 PSU is a lot of money!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.