G4 QS using widescreen LCD (not cinema display)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by hondak24, Dec 16, 2006.

1. hondak24 macrumors newbie

Dec 16, 2006
    I have a G4 QS with Geforce2 mx 32MB ADC/VGA card. Instead of buying a ADC->DVI adaptor to hook up an 19" widescreen LCD, I want to "upgrade" to a Geforce4 mx or Radeon 9000 Pro. I know it's not much of an upgrade but I don't want to throw too much money on an old machine.

I read a few posts where people were successful at hooking up a widescreen LCD, but they also have newer macs.

1. If I want to keep my Geforce2 and use an ADC ->DVI adaptor, what are the chances of finding a widescreen LCD that will work?

2. Geforce4 mx or Radeon 9000 Pro? all 64MB.
    Are my chances better?

3. From above specs, the resolutions don't seem to match modern widescreen LCD native res. How will the quality suffer?

4. I know Dell LCDs are a popular choice here. Any other LCDs that might work with older graphics card? Any other graphics card recommendations?

2. Joony macrumors regular

Jan 7, 2005
    Your Geforce2 should support at most a widescreen Dell 24" LCD with the ADC-DVI adapter, since it did support the 23" ACD in terms of resolution.

"The Apple Cinema HD Display requires Mac OS X v10.1.3 or Mac OS 9.2.2 or later, and one of the following systems:
    —Power Mac G4 with an NVIDIA GeForce2 MX...."

You might be able to find a modded G5 pull Radeon 9600, which supports Core Image in Tiger, for a cheap price.
  3. hondak24 thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 16, 2006
    Thanks Joony. I'll need to do a search on this modded G5 Radeon.