Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

comda

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
I realize this post is a few weeks old.. But i have to ask.. How did you get the motherboard stands in? drill holes the same size as the drill size on the pegs themselves?

I wont have time until the summer..... But Since seeing a previous post in insanlymac forums and this one i want to do the same... but i want to build a retro machine in mine. I have about 3 pentium 2 Era boards and want to make a simple windows 98 system for all my dos/early era Pc games. I figured since computer that age didnt get as hot (the 266Mhz CPU i have doesnt even have a fan) i figured a small tight case would be great for it!

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
I could probably send one your way, if you still need one. I got 2 DDR2(2GB) sticks from a C2D mobo somewhere.

Really? That would be excellent :D. Sorry I didn't reply sooner, but I'll shoot ya a PM.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I realize this post is a few weeks old.. But i have to ask.. How did you get the motherboard stands in? drill holes the same size as the drill size on the pegs themselves?

I wont have time until the summer..... But Since seeing a previous post in insanlymac forums and this one i want to do the same... but i want to build a retro machine in mine. I have about 3 pentium 2 Era boards and want to make a simple windows 98 system for all my dos/early era Pc games. I figured since computer that age didnt get as hot (the 266Mhz CPU i have doesnt even have a fan) i figured a small tight case would be great for it!

Regular motherboard stand offs are the wrong height. After disassembling the door. I broke off all the metal pieces with pliers. I then drilled holes and ran screws through and made custom spacers with plastic hose. As I recall I also had to cut slots it the door latching system.

If I were to do it again I would solder or glue the screws in place and use a stiffer material for the spacers.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
If you don't mind me asking, what's the progress so far with the hackintosh?:)

So far, nothing much, the front LED and power button work still, got a new graphics card for it, a 6790, so not terribler. Any news on that DDR2 stick?

comda

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Regular motherboard stand offs are the wrong height. After disassembling the door. I broke off all the metal pieces with pliers. I then drilled holes and ran screws through and made custom spacers with plastic hose. As I recall I also had to cut slots it the door latching system.

If I were to do it again I would solder or glue the screws in place and use a stiffer material for the spacers.

what do you mean by spacers? im not following what you're explaining here at all.. maybe to do you a photo you can share or at least PM me it? i want to do this mod in the summer.. but dont want to make the case a total mess... kinda a noob at fabrication..

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
what do you mean by spacers? Im not following what you're explaining here at all.. Maybe to do you a photo you can share or at least pm me it? I want to do this mod in the summer.. But dont want to make the case a total mess... Kinda a noob at fabrication..
IMG_1037.jpg IMG_1040.jpg

iModFrenzy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2015
Kamino
So far, nothing much, the front LED and power button work still, got a new graphics card for it, a 6790, so not terribler. Any news on that DDR2 stick?

Ah ok

Yea, It's somewhere in my basement, Ive been looking around for it, gimmie a day.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Thank you so much for clearing that up. Guess once i have some time in the summer I might do a little fiddling around and get this done. Cant wait to turn my G4 into a P2 or P4. Sadly its a dead machine.

Turn it into an 8086. Use the CD bay for 5.25" floppy's.:cool:

Thats fancy, I just drilled holes without using spacers, I probably should fix that since PCIe cards don't quite fit without a bunch of effort.

If you still have the original standoffs. Use one as a guide for the spacer size. I'd use a stiffer material than the tubing I used. It crushes awfully easy.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013

If you still have the original standoffs. Use one as a guide for the spacer size. I'd use a stiffer material than the tubing I used. It crushes awfully easy.

I threw out the old spacers, but I'll see what I can find. Its not really much of a main project. I'll have to cut the CD/DVD drive holder to put my new front USB setup in it. Now, I gotta cram a 6790 into it.

What about throwing a Mac Mini in there :D
I don't have a spare floating about.

comda

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
[/COLOR]

Sadly i dont have a machine that old. My current plan with the case is to use a Pentium 2 board with a P2 233Mhz i have with a 32mb Ati card for all my classic games, like doom, doom 2, ultimate doot GTA2, sim city 2000 etc. Since the Pentium 2 is a slot CPU it might be a little tricky but im up for a challenge. The biggest advantage is the fact the P2 doesnt generate that much heat and therefore i dont have to cut any holes into the case for better ventilation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.