G4 won't reboot after power outage

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bioalchemist, Dec 27, 2005.

1. bioalchemist macrumors newbie

Hi. I have a 400 MHz G4 running Yellow Dog Linux (server). When the power goes out, it doesn't come back on. I'm new to Mac but is there a way to do it with the firmware or something? YDL does not give me a software option to do this. Thanks in advance for any help!

2. ryan42 macrumors 6502

ryan42

Hm. There is an option in OS X I know. So it is possible. If nothing else you could boot OS X and change the option there.

3. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

If you change the option in Mac OS X it probably will not effect the Linux OS. Try and see if there is a third-party download or add-on that will allow you to do this. There may be an official update too, do a google search, you may find people with a similar question. :) Good Luck

4. doucy2 macrumors 65816

doucy2

it could be as software issue like they stated above
    i it could have killed you power supply by chance
    does any thing spin up when you boot?

5. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

Despite the somewhat misleading thread title, the computer works it just doesn't reboot automatically after a power failure.

As you likely know, most x86 machines have an option to reboot after a power outage in the BIOS. Since OS X has the option in software, it leads me to believe that the option is not available in the firmware. Maybe a nice UPS is the answer.

6. doucy2 macrumors 65816

doucy2

ohh ok
    i should have read closer i supose
    you should get a back up external power supply so you mac wont be shut down by outages

7. ryan42 macrumors 6502

ryan42

It IS a setting in the NVRAM. I don't know what setting it is but it surely exists.

8. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

You should be able to see all the options by typing nvram -p in Terminal as I am not at home to try