Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newtech

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
Not possible, the 1.6 GHz G5 MLB is single processor and has firmware that limits CPU speed to 1.6 GHz only, bus limited to 800 MHz only! All G5 have firmware set to recognize the speed they shipped as as the max speed, slower processors will work at their slower speed.

To use those processors you would need an MLB that was produced to be 2.5 GHz or 2.7 GHz and to support an LCS.

Spievy

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2002
Virginia
Posting because I am curious.

Is there away to hack the firmware to recognize faster processors? Seems possible to me.

newtech

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
That part of the firmware is associated with the AD7174 SMU controllers, while technically possible to change I have never heard of anyone succeeding in doing it.

Basically putting a faster processor than shipped on a G5 board will force it into safe mode. Safe mode is CPU frequency minimum and fans at full speed ( even after thermal calibration is run ).

65StangBoy

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2007
Your 1.6 only has a single socket on the logic board. So even if you could modify the firmware, it still physically won't work.

Velocity

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Kings Mountain, NC
G5 and Mac Pro logic boards pay homage to Rube Goldberg.

How about Rube Goldberg with a lobotomy. I've been a Mac user since Day One, 1984, and it never ceases to amaze me HOW DIFFICULT it is to love Apple, with their dead-end upgrade paths and lack of support. It's like dating a dominatrix...You worship her, and she just keeps punishing you.

:(

newtech

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
How about Rube Goldberg with a lobotomy. I've been a Mac user since Day One, 1984, and it never ceases to amaze me HOW DIFFICULT it is to love Apple, with their dead-end upgrade paths and lack of support. It's like dating a dominatrix...You worship her, and she just keeps punishing you.

I will say Apple and Steve jobs are very careful to describe Mac's as expandable as opposed to upgradeable.

Velocity

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Kings Mountain, NC
Hey, how about this... Can I use the wireless card from my G4 PowerMac in the G5? If so, that'll at least be SOMETHING I don't have to worry about.

Velocity

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Kings Mountain, NC
Just wanted to do follow-up. The wireless card from my old G4 PowerMac works perfectly in the G5, has worked flawlessly for 2 months so far, no problems at all. Go figure.

greenlightracer

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2007
What gymnastics are required to convert a 1.6 PowerMac G5 to a 2.5 doolie? Is such an overhaul even possible? I have a new G5 dual 2.5 processor (you can view the unit here):

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff318/CharlesAMiller/25Processor.jpg

Can this be successfully installed in a 1.6 PowerMac G5?

You could theoretically replace both the Motherboard and both the processors (from the same motherboard, in the same positions they were in). That would work. I just dont see this feasible unless you have two powermacs and one has a blown power supply and the other has a bad motherboard or cpu..

Velocity

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Kings Mountain, NC
Alas, I went ahead and sold the dual processor and am currently running the single processor in my G5. Interestingly, the single processor G5 runs at about the same speed and efficiency as did my old G4 dual processor, so I'm kind of right back where I started.

greenlightracer

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2007
Alas, I went ahead and sold the dual processor and am currently running the single processor in my G5. Interestingly, the single processor G5 runs at about the same speed and efficiency as did my old G4 dual processor, so I'm kind of right back where I started.

yea shame :( some dual G4's can feel very similar to the lower end g5's in day to day usage. having a second CPU with an advanced OS like OS X with great built in multi-processor and multithreading support can really make a difference.

Velocity

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Kings Mountain, NC
On the up side, I sent this G5 to the shop recently — was having some screen-freeze issues — and the tech said my G5 was a RECALL from 2004! Wow, don't you love when that happens? Brand new motherboard, abso-stinkin-lutely free. Runs like a brand new 2004 Mac G5 now. :D

Firefly2002

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2008

You know it's funny. .. Macs were pretty much all upgradeable until the G5s. It's kind of disappointing that they made them so inflexible.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
You know it's funny. .. Macs were pretty much all upgradeable until the G5s. It's kind of disappointing that they made them so inflexible.

Even if you could upgrade the processor(s) of a PowerMac G5, you'd have a very tough time doing so - I suspect very few of these processor chips are still made. And certainly none any faster than were originally made (unlike the G4 chips). I wonder how much of a stockpile Apple has.

Firefly2002

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2008
Even if you could upgrade the processor(s) of a PowerMac G5, you'd have a very tough time doing so - I suspect very few of these processor chips are still made. And certainly none any faster than were originally made (unlike the G4 chips). I wonder how much of a stockpile Apple has.

I don't imagine any are made. IBM had them made specially, based off the POWER4 processors they use in their high end servers, unlike Motorola, who manufactured the G3/G4 chips and also used them in embedded solutions, even after Apple stopped buying (hence availability of G3 chips scaling above 900 MHz, and G4s above 1.42 GHz).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.