Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
You'll have to start looking at torrent sites to get it. I don't think they where ever released to the public.

Last edited:

drorpheus

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2010
What you need and want to look for is not the AHT, but you want to look for ASD 2.6.3 , with that you can run all hardware tests there are the same as any apple service provider or apple store, and rerun the thermal calibration if needed.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
Apple Hardware Test disks come with the machine from Apple. Its a tool that'll tell you something is wrong using a code. Those codes are NOT released to the public though. Apple Service Diagnostic discs are the ones Apple Certified Service Providers get and are far more useful when testing hardware, but those are not available to the public.

englishman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2006
A lot of it depends on how much RAM is installed and how large the hard drives are. Expect a few hours at least for one pass.

Thanks

I have 3GB/160GB

The noise of the fans ramping up is quite alarming.

englishman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2006
Just unchecked the drive and ram and it just took a few minutes all passed

Then went back and ran the HD test and ran a few minutes

Then one of the 6 512Mb rams and passed

So all ok. :)

commops106

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2009
software compilation

Hey guys I just bought a dual core 2.0 g5 i have lots of powerpc's been using them for 8 years. I'm sure that you guys have more experience then me i was wondering if we could get a compilation list of must have software for this machine. Its confusing looking for the last software revisions for functionality with the powerpc g5. Im looking to use it for video editing photo editing and such all on older tech sony handycam and mini dv also web surfing and office work. What im looking for is the best products to use for each application you can think of an example would be youtube i have used youview and mactubes between the 2 mactubes runs fluidly so thats what im going to be using i want to try to mitigate slow performance, lagging and buggy software as much as possible. Maybe between everyone we could put together almost a guide of sorts for people to hunt down software before it all goes away. I hope to keep this g5 going for another 5-10 years if i can.

commops106

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2009
Torrents and benchmark burnin software

anyone have a iso/disc image of the restore discs for the a1177 and ASD 2.6.3
Pirate bay has nothing.
I kept getting kernel panics on my dual until i realized it might be the tiger discs. I guess only the originals work, can you guys suggest benchmark burnin software i want to put my new g5 through the paces.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
anyone have a iso/disc image of the restore discs for the a1177 and ASD 2.6.3
Pirate bay has nothing.
I kept getting kernel panics on my dual until i realized it might be the tiger discs. I guess only the originals work, can you guys suggest benchmark burnin software i want to put my new g5 through the paces.

If you want to instal 10.4 you need at least 10.4.2 DVD (Late 2005s were shipped with that version) - earlier ones lacking 6600 drivers - hence KP.
There was 10.4.3 Retail DVD, so look for this one as your G5 is a license for 10.4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.