G5, ADC Display, Power, and KVM Issues

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by methodmano, Nov 3, 2005.

1. macrumors member

Aug 1, 2004
    I have my dual 2.0 G5 (newly purchased off of craigslist) hooked up to a powerstrip (which itself is plugged into an extension cable, not a powerstrip - no outlets in the room). I also have a 23" ADC display hooked into the G5. It seems that when I hook more items into the powerstrip, the computer starts booting up and then shuts off at the grey Apple screen. I say seems because it doesn't happen all the time. If I remove the hooked up items, it starts fine, so I'm guessing that it's not getting enough power when more items are hooked up. Sound reasonable?

So I want to hook my PC and G5 up to the monitor. I have a KVM switch that has 2 DVI in and 1 ADC out. So I hook up a VGA->DVI cable from the PC to the switch, a DVI->DVI cable from the G5 to the switch and the ADC cable from the monitor to the switch (it doesn't have a power cord). That wasn't working.

So I hooked up just the PC to the switch and monitor. When I put the VGA->DVI cable in, the PC lights went on like it was getting power even though the power cord wasn't yet in. That was weird and wouldn't turn on when I put the power cord in.

So then I tried just hooking the G5 into the switch and monitor. I was able to snake the switch power into the other room since it had a long power cable. It was like the monitor wasn't getting any power though. The G5 was on but not the monitor. So I switched the position of the DVI cable (just changed the input on the back of the switch) and the monitor came on for about 2 seconds and then the G5 shut off.

Any suggestions as to what is going on? It's all very confusing and odd since I've never experienced this kind of problem. Thanks a lot, it was a long read!
  2. macrumors 6502a

May 26, 2005
    Rampaging Tokyo
    Too many variables.

Try to isolate the issue. Can you take the machine into a room that has suitable power and try it from there? If that works, try KVM switch, etc. Try to break things down a bit so your not dealing with multiple problems at once.....
  3. macrumors newbie

Nov 3, 2005
    No Power Pin

ADC cable provides power to the monitor via a special pin in the G5, if you connect the ADC monitor via DVI (which contains no power pin) you will no recieve any image, Apple sells an adapter (around $180) to convert dvi to ADC, this includes a power adapter. This is the only way around this situation that I'm aware of. However it will only power ADC LCD Monitors not ADC CRT's
  4. thread starter macrumors member

Aug 1, 2004
    The ADC cable plugs-into the switch. Shouldn't the switch power the monitor? It has 2 DVI in and 1 ADC out.