Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dbit

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2006
I was trying to help a co-worker with their G5 purchased in 2006, running a pro-tools system. After a startup in safe mode, a restart, and running disk and permissions verifications, the machine was running fine for a week. Then, without being moved or anything, the machine was turned off, and now no longer fully boots up.

We get nothing coming out of the video card, I can't noticably hear the disk spinning up, it seems when we press the power button (the light only comes on when depressed), the fans boot up, but nothing else.

There's no startup chime, no video output, etc. We reseated the video card, checked some general things, but no luck. I've read a lot of reports about these issues ending up being bad logic boards. Many of them talk about trying to reseat everything to no avail, and I can't imagine this is the issue since the machine hadn't been moved at all.

Does anybody have any suggestions? I've scoured the net for reports, and there's a lot of mixed up info out there.

Any and all help is much appreciated!

dbit

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2006
His problem ended up being a power supply that needed replacing. But others have ended up having similar symptoms and needing logic boards and other things. If you have a certified mac repair shop near you the best advice is probably just to take it in, unless you're handy and can get the parts fast and cheap yourself to try.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.