Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 6, 2003
NY
My G5 is about a month old and it freezes sporatically throughout the day, always in Safari. I took it to the Apple Store after consulting phone support and they said they couldn't replicate the problem. It just ramdomly locks up, I tried a clean install twice but nothing. Since the guy couldn't make it freeze, I think it has something to do with the video card. He had a regular monitor and I have a Samsung Syncmaster Widescreen running at 1280x768 at 60Hz. Oh, its a single 1.6 witha gforce card and 256 ram. Its not the ram either because I switched em out and it didn't help. Please, someone I'm despirate!!!:(

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Stop using Safari, for awhile. There's alway Mozilla, Netscape, and OmniWeb.

Although it might be another application (not browser related) causing problems while your using Safari it most likely a Safari helper app that doesn't like Panther yet.

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 6, 2003
NY
Nah

I just put on Mozilla and about 5 minutes afterward guess what, a freeze.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
You buy a new G5 it shouldnt have any problems! anyways i was talking to a buddy of mine today that works at a Apple reseller and he has told me they have nothing but problems with the G5's, from the post i have seen here at Macrumors i would say Apple still has a little work to do. sorry your having problems jimsowden

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
the technology in the G5 towers is still in its infancy. not all the hardware bugs have been worked out yet. this is the price people pay for having to have the latest and fastest computer on the block.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
forgot to mention this may or may not have anything to do with your G5 but at xl8yourmac they had a article about the thermal sensor location and that the one for the hard drive is mounted away from the harddrive so even if the drive is getting hot the fan is blowing across the sensor so it never reads the temp of the hard drive correctly. this may be worth a look. they had corrected this by having the sensor touch the drive there by giving a accurate temp. a hot hard drive can do some crazy stuff.

brad-x

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2004
Re: G5 Freeze Blues

Originally posted by jimsowden
My G5 is about a month old and it freezes sporatically throughout the day, always in Safari. I took it to the Apple Store after consulting phone support and they said they couldn't replicate the problem. It just ramdomly locks up, I tried a clean install twice but nothing. Since the guy couldn't make it freeze, I think it has something to do with the video card. He had a regular monitor and I have a Samsung Syncmaster Widescreen running at 1280x768 at 60Hz. Oh, its a single 1.6 witha gforce card and 256 ram. Its not the ram either because I switched em out and it didn't help. Please, someone I'm despirate!!!:(

Hi, just caught this on google.

I'm in the exact same boat, and I'm wondering if you got this issue resolved?

My Mac locks up on a stock install of Panther, just by scrolling through Safari. No filesystem corruption, no third party apps or drivers, nothing but what it came with; the only things even plugged in are the keyboard, mouse and monitor.

I'm in the process of speaking with Apple about it, I'm just wondering what to expect ahead of time.

Thanks!

Waluigi

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2003
Connecticut
Don't worry, it's not your computer.

In fact, it has nothing to do with your hardware. I have a G5, and it doesn't play well with safari all the time either. This is simply a glitch on either the web site, or safari's processing of that code (more likely the latter). Safari still has a long way to go until it is 100% useful. I find that I have to use IE for certain websites where I have to log in to a secure system for instance.

--Waluigi

brad-x

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2004
Thing is, it happens with Mozilla, Internet Explorer, Firebird, any browser I use; probably has to do with the scrolling operation itself.

That says to me that it could be the graphics drivers, the RAM (because WindowServer is so memory intensive), the graphics card, the AGP controller, any number of potentially serious things..

sabroson

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2003
Chicago
I heard somewhere that some people were having problems with the ATI cards on the G5s.

This might be totally unrelated, but it might serve to prove a point...
I had similar "Lock Up" problems on a Dual G4 (1Ghz) and I found out that an
USB Hub attached to the computer was the one causing the problems. I had one of those little unpowered hubs (the size of a thumb) attached to the USB in the keyboard so that I could connect the Digital camera and the Bluetooth adapter.

The point is... look EVERYWHERE. The least expected thing might be causing the problem.

BTW, I just ordered a G5 (dual 2Ghz) with an ATI card (to replace the Dual G4) so I guess I will see for myself. I guess the Bleeding Edge G5 might be bleeding too much. Anybody has a Band-Aid?

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
I had random freeze ups with my G5 (Dual 1.8, Radeon 9800)....
Turned out to be my MOMO racing wheel which was connected directly to the G5! Now I have pluged it in de 21"monitor USB 1.1 -hub: NO MORE PROBLEMS!
I am serious.

Heard similar case with a USB printer...

Maybe USB 2.0 issue with some other hardware?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.