Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jtsimler3

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2004
Austin, TX
Hi. I've just bought a new G5, and ever since, every time I plug headphones into the front jack, I get sound only in the left ear. I've tried this on 2 sets of headphones, and the same problem occurs.

Has anyone else had this problem?

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
maybe?

I don't have that problem...but on mine, when the headphones are plugged in, sound still comes out the audio out...kinda defeats the whole reasoning behind headphones, eh? Do all macs do this?

Maxx Power

Cancelled
Apr 29, 2003
pdpfilms said:
I don't have that problem...but on mine, when the headphones are plugged in, sound still comes out the audio out...kinda defeats the whole reasoning behind headphones, eh? Do all macs do this?

Yes. Apparently. I like that feature though, not really a feature, most audio related appliances can do that.

Maxx Power

Cancelled
Apr 29, 2003
jtsimler3 said:
Hi. I've just bought a new G5, and ever since, every time I plug headphones into the front jack, I get sound only in the left ear. I've tried this on 2 sets of headphones, and the same problem occurs.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Either the wire came loose on the inside, or the solder connections are no good. You might want to take it in for a quick repair.

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
try moving it in and out slowly and see if both ears ever kick in. some times you it goes into far and the right ear part is not conecting

Maxx Power

Cancelled
Apr 29, 2003
Timelessblur said:
try moving it in and out slowly and see if both ears ever kick in. some times you it goes into far and the right ear part is not conecting

yeah, but if you do that, you'll get both ears on one channel the moment both sleeves on the jack touches one connection on the inside, then you'll think you have both channels when you just have one.

stevehaslip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
The Ocean Floor
when you put the headphones in if you turn them around do you get any noise? like a crackling? indicating that it might be trying to do something? and i guess that you've tried it with another set of earphones?
by the way my g5 is fine.

i think that you're problem is probably a bad solder, it happens.

jtsimler3

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2004
Austin, TX
Yeah. There's absolutely no sound coming from the right ear. It doesn't make a crackling sound or anything. I guess it's a problem that needs to be fixed.

And yeah. I also checked the balance, which wasn't it. I was hoping I was an idiot just this once --> problem solved!

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.