Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iToon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
Lichfield, UK
Hi.

Quick Q: What exactly do I need to connect my G5 iMac to my widescreen TV? Ideally, I need to know which adapter is the correct one AND what cables I should be looking for to add on to that.

Amazingly, I asked at the local Apple store about this and nobody could give me a straight answer! The 'genius' was busy, so I couldn't get around to asking him.

Any help would be great as i'm planning to pick up the necessary stuff this weekend.

iToon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
Lichfield, UK
Ok, i'm presuming it'd be the mini VGA - Video adapter. Anyone know if I could configure this to work through a SCART port, via an S-VIDEO - SCART adapter and the appropriate cabling set-up? :confused:

Originally, I thought I had an S-VIDEO socket, but low and behold, I don't. The TV manual seems to indicate that S-VHS can be accessed via the AV options, and a quick shuttle through the channels seems to reflect that, with an S-VHS channel apparent.

Any ideas folks? My technical expertise kinda runs short at this point.

Help much appreciated, as ever. :)

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
Not too sure about the connections but don't leave it unattended for too long as you don't want your desktop background to burn into your widescreen tv. That would suck.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
How old a widescreen could you have that it doesn't have svideo? I assume this means you don't have component video in either?

iToon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
Lichfield, UK
Thanks for the replies. However, it looks like i'm going to be defeated on this one, which is a bit of a pity given that I had a nice working arrangement from my old PC via its graphics card. :mad:

2 scarts, and Video/Audio L/R are present and definately no S-Video, which is a bit irritating. Unless there's any way of getting from the iMac adapter's S-Video link to one of the former, i'll have to forget the whole shebang until I upgrade the TV.

I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised as the TV is about 3 years old and one of the more lower end models (BUSH WS6673 in the UK, if it helps).

In light of the above, i'm certainly glad I got the 20" G5 instead of the 17" - at least it'll afford me some screen space to use! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.