Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonboyeditor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2004
I have a G5 1.6 Ghz and I've been having random crashes. I'm talking really random-can't-reproduce-them-but-they-keep-happening-at-the-oddest-of-times) where my mouse freezes and I have to boot-up.

I've replaced almost everything through applecare, and weirdly enough, my Apple Technician at a service centre cannot get this sucker to crash. This has led me to another possiblity: do these crashes have something to do with the fact I have no UPS backup power supply and/or that my building is old and may not be able to support the amount of power supply required to run my edit suite?

Has anyone had something similar to this happen to them?

ANy suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I will be testing my theory with a UPS unit, but thought I'd ask you experts!

:D

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Bad power can cause a bunch of random crashes, a machine that is flakey at home and quite fine when taken in can sometimes be fixed with a new line-conditioning UPS.

Worst part is these G5 suck down quite a bit of power and can overload people's old UPSs, which means new UPSs and more $s spent.

---

If you have problems the extra $s spent on a line-conditioning UPS is generally a better idea than a simple big battery UPS.

But these G5s really need somewhere around a 1000VA and above unit, and a CRT monitor will push these numbers up a bit.

If you want an idea of how many Watts of output you'd need you can always try a search on UPS and Sun Baked -- I remember I posted the links to a few dual G5 Watts used and some people chimed in with their numbers.

I recall the numbers I posted were dual G5s with an LCD (and were both the skewed MHz and the full blast numbers) -- and somebody posted the CPU alone numbers.

The numbers were quite a few Watts needed, and most of the G5s exceeded the Watts output by the 650VA UPSs when running full blast.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.